5.0 out of 5 stars as Belle settles back to life with her loved ones ... will she ever get her happy ever after???, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Promise (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Promise by Lesley Pearse was a brilliant conclusion too the first book in this short series Belle. I to be truthful first received The Promise from Amazon Vine and as I read the book though I was enjoying reading it I felt when the author referred back to the first book, I was missing out a lot of Belle's history which would make my enjoyment and understanding of this book so much more. I downloaded the first book for my kindle and as I read Belle's heartbreaking story in the book of the same name, I will admit at times there was parts I found hard to read as the abuse which Belle suffered was wrote about with clarity and detail(this is in the first book only). Even with this uncomfortable details in the first book, I would still recommend the book to other readers but I still believe as I said in my review of the first book believe that readers should be warned there is some parts which readers would have difficulty reading, though I found to book to be a fascinating read. The author, Lesley Pearse has a fantastic gift of story telling which constantly holds the readers attention.
In this book "The Promise" Belle is back in England and she is running the store she has always dreamed of doing, she is married and settled and seems to be happy in life. I to be honest thought she had done all her suffering in the first book and I was expecting a life of domestic bliss. But trouble always finds Belle but what I liked about the character of Belle, she will not lie down and just accept what life throws at her but she will fight for what she believes in and she truly is a woman who faces life with a wonderful strength of character.
This book follows Belle as she serves her country in any way she can but still holds the love of her family within her heart. She lets no-one walk over her but she has a heart of gold and she holds close friendships which she makes are precious to her and she will support her friends and loved ones through thick and thin.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough as it truly was a fantastic read, you will follow Belle to the fields of war in France and then back home again to face wars of her own which she faces with that same terrific strength of character. Her travelling is not finished here and she has many miles to travel before she finds the happy ever after she has pined for so long, there is much heartache and pain throughout her journey which we follow in this wonderful book but then I think it makes the happiness she craves so much more precious for her when she finally does find it. The Promise which was made too her in the first book will be honoured in the second book which made this book even more satisfying to read.
What I loved about reading this book was that the authors writing was so clear and vivid I could see what the characters seen and I could understand the pain and strife which Belle had to suffer daily usually by the hands of others. Never before have I read a book of fiction where the author has missed nothing from the suffering of those that fought in the first world war. The vivid descriptions of the terrible conditions which those poor soldiers had to not only fight through but live through. The squalid conditions which no animal should have ever suffered but men of so many countries fought together, the filth and muck they had to endure and where they fell was usually where they died. I learned so much from reading this book as the author's research was the best I have read fiction wise, I usually find when reading books which are fiction the authors usually give small descriptions or just show some of the suffering but I can honestly say the descriptions which was used in this book I can see what they suffered so much more than I ever could have imagined. This is the best book I have ever read which was based on this period as nothing was missed, as the author clearly wanted her readers to know the actual full suffering of those men that fought through the First World War.
The Promise by Lesley Pearse is one book I would give ten stars if I could and I recommend it to anyone who loves books which are based on the first world war and the surrounding years.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jan 2012 18:41:49 GMT
I have read all Lesley Pearse books including 'The Promise', which was brilliant, but the best book I have ever read by her is 'Never Look Back', this was absolutely out of this world.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2012 19:32:45 GMT
Thank you for your recommendation.. I certainly will give that one a read.. to be truthful I have recently just started reading Lesley Pearse books and I was not sure which one to read next - now I know which one I will be reading.. she is a fantastic author with a wonderful gift for story telling.
thanks for taking the time to leave your recommendation I do appreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2012 10:37:53 GMT
J. Walsh says:
can I just add to this recommendation, Never look back is one of the best books I have ever read

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2012 17:20:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Feb 2012 17:27:26 GMT
Thank you so much for your comments I have yet to get around to reading Never Look Back but now I have had two recommendations for it, it will certainly be next on my list. ,Is there any more you could recommend for me, I do love reading historical fiction especially those based on the first and second world wars.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2012 11:11:29 BDT
Gadget Lover says:
Hi! Another brilliant book that I have leant all my friends by Lesley Pearse is "Trust Me" It is another large book but you wont be able to put it down.....I shall now try The Promise! I have read all her books and there are about 19 available. There are only a couple of the later ones that are not as good! The early ones Georgia, Tara, Rosie are very good!

Kinds regards Lindsey

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2012 19:40:53 BDT
Thank you for your comments and recommending another book for me to read, I do love when other readers like myself get in touch and let me know their favourite books as there is so many books I never know which one to read next. I can faithfully say The Promise is a fantastic book now one of my favourites and the perfecting ending for Belle and the man she loved from she was a child.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (371 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £0.01