5.0 out of 5 stars two weeks of my usage, this is exactly what i wanted... update added 26/06/12 at bottom, plus update 2 10/7/2012, 4 Jun 2012
This review is from: Ployer Momo8 Bird Tablet PC - 8 Inch Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) - 1024 * 768 Capacitive 5 Point Touch Screen, 1.6GHz Processor, 8GB storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, Ultra Thin, 9.7mm design - 3D Output - Flash 11.1 - New Google Play installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible - 1.3MP Camera (Personal Computers)
(Note UPDATE 26/06/12 at bottom)
(Note UPDATE 2 10/07/12 at very bottom)

I received this player 22 may from GTR Electonics, a few days ahead of the estimated delivery time. Well done to them.

I have now had time to size up how this momo8 bird fits up against my usage.

Tablet feels good and came well packaged with nearly everything i needed.

I added a mini-hdmi to hdmi and a 16gb micro sdhc card and a case is now winging its way here from GTR. Micro SDHC was a Sandisk Micro Secure Digital (MicroSDHC) Memory Card - 16GB - Class 4, works fine.

My usage is :
Primarily, during a 1 hour commute each day, using mobile internet through phone and watching stored video downloads.
Secondary, while sitting on the SOFA, using internet through WIFI.
Tertiary, the occasional use while away from routine days on holiday/work away from home.

Primary usage is very good for me, screen is good and catching up on blogs/forums/news is quick. I have been using the tablet from standby and then doing a quick refresh of some open pages, this is proving very good. I am also getting three days usage out of a single charge, i.e. 6 1-hour commutes before a recharge is required, the other time being spent in standby. Its size is good for going in my rucksack, big enough, not too big, not too heavy. One small snag on the primary usage is loss of mobile internet connection I will explain more at end, and i think is outside of the momo8 bird tablet and is a phone problem.

Secondary usage is also top notch, using a few apps, bbc iplayer, blogs/forum/surfing/email. Also with my house WIFI I have experienced no wifi drop outs what so ever. Comfortable to hold and use for reasonably long periods.

Tertiary usage is not really being experimented with too much yet, but videos and other items i download whether it be iplayer or youtube plays straightaway through the TV through HDMI. I will try some skype out soon when skypeing my dad to his great grand daughter.

All this came straight out the box, and worked fine.

When first used the google play needed an update, went through without a hitch and is very good,

Application installation has been fine and as a previous non android user, i am picking up the way that androind 4.0 ice cream sandwich works.

Installed a few different web browsers, settled on the dolphin HD one, seems best, not picked out a new virtual keyboard yet, though that is coming.

Have installed a few varied apps and a mate has pointed me towards fruit ninja which shows the speed and usability for the tablet for games and the accuracy of the touch screen.

On expermiment I have found the front camera and sound to be fine, and I have even used the web voice search on dolphin and found it to be quite decent!!

So super pleased with my purchase, glad i deliberated and procrastinated for about three months and then settled on this. For what I paid (110 total inc delivery) from GTR this is a great purchase.

The support from GTR has been excellent.

Overall it is actually way above me expectations (which were high) and I am delighted.

Will heartily recommend this to others, only caution is to make sure that for your PERSONAL usage this product is a good fit. Though this would apply if you were paying 400 for a tablet, 4000 for a holiday or 100000 for a house.

Back to the snag....
This may be a lack of understanding and i have not attempted to use the extensive android forums to establish if there is a simple fix. The mobile internet dropouts, now I have a symbian phone and with jokiuspot (the best wifi hotspot app apparently) has an encrypted mode. As my usage would frequently be in a public place i decided to use encryption.

All seemed ok, then i experienced a few dropouts on commutes, maybe once in the day, not sure what the trigger is. Connection to mobile wifi hot spot could be re-established ok. Not a great bother for my usage, just niggly. I have been looking into it and symbian need "root" access on the tablet to make an ad-hoc wi-fi connection (all symbian phones need an application to be a wi-fi hotspot), the momo8 bird is rooted, so the tablet is making this connection fine. I think it is the phone that is at issue (no problems with my home WI-FI) and there may be a work around, like a new application for making mobile connections better, but I have not got a solution yet only the workaround of reconnect. It could also be the network provider.

If I find a solution I will post an update.

The snag would not put me off another purchase at all though.

Well happy customer, thanks GTR for steering me in this direction!

UPDATE 26/06/12.....

Well investigations show mobile WIFI mobile dropouts seem to be due to WIFI on symbian, being of AD-HOC WIFI connection rather than INFRASTRUCTURE WIFI connections. A new phone is one the imminent horizion, so when this changed and tested this may improve. It seems NOT to be the MOMO8 Bird.

Unexpectedly i have found myself watching stored videos on commutes more often and this has been going very well. Have become that immersed I have nearly missed my stop!!

Note after some support from Gary I updated the FIRMWARE, bit scary updating but went fine if I followed Garys instructions.
Finally, I have installed more games than planned - especially for kids to play - and only considering the free ones these are very good and some are very educational, good for a quiet hour early on a sunday morning while allowing everyone else to have a lie in and piece.

UPDATE 2 10/07/12.....

Well on new phone (HTC ONE V) and new MOMO 8 BIRD firmware version 4.0.4 now.

Mobile WIFI has no disconnects on my travels from my phone... so problem was definitely the phone.

Firmware also seems to make phone generally more responsive in general than before. Notably i experienced the occasional uncommanded back command, now not experiencing this at all.

so, new fimrware has made a great tablet even better...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jun 2012 12:13:54 BDT
cambridge says:
re. the virtual keyboard, the lack of cursor (arrow) keys was driving me nuts so I've loaded Perfect Keyboard Free: swipe the spacebar upwards and a set of cursor keys appear. Neat.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 12:25:41 BDT
Bigfilmguy says:
Thanks for such a great review, it has convinced me to order a Momo8 Bird myself. Just waiting for it to arrive now!!

Posted on 26 Jun 2012 23:14:43 BDT
mark mccloy says:
cambridge,

I have switched to a swift key trial which seems good, at the moment.

but thanks for the advice, if i feel like a change wil consider this....

Posted on 28 Sep 2012 12:08:03 BDT
badalicat says:
Can you help me understand the internet drop out as I get this an awful lot and I only use my home wifi (virgin media). I have no idea how to use any others. you mention your phone, are u using your phones internet connection? to as I have a blackberry with 3g. Can I do the same. if so how do i do it. My daughter wants 1 for her birthday next week but i notice GTR dont have them on website anymore. Shame as i got mine from there only in June for my Birthday. Help anyone please

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012 20:15:57 BDT
mark mccloy says:
badalicat,
from the beginning my home wifi has always been perfect, i am using virgin media.

I started off using my momo8 bird with a nokia 5800 xpressmusic (runs a symbian OS and is quite old), there is where i experienced problems maintaining a wifi connection to my phone while travelling. (The problem is related to how symbian does wifi connections as ad-hoc!)

Switched my phone to a htc one v (runs android ice cream sandwich) same as the tablet. Run a wifi hotspot on my htc one v and my momo8 bird works through this faultlessly. Hope this helps.

I do not know if your blackberry allows it to be a wifi hotspot (i.e. share the phones mobile data connection).

Would agree a GTR purchase is best look at gtr electronics own site (google it!) and i think there is a slightly improved momo8 bird available.

Personally i would purchase from a UK seller (or europe) to avoid import duty and give you some confidence for returns.

Consider super slim HD, his customer support and responses seem also to have a good following.

Hope this helps.