4.0 out of 5 stars Better for age group 10 to 12 than adults, 13 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Magic of Reality: How we know what's really true (Hardcover)
Richard Dawkins has produced some excellent work and is a first class scientist and writer and I have found several of his other books most interesting and enjoyable. I was therefore expecting something of the same when I ordered it. What I would have liked to have known before I ordered is, however - that it is written in a very obvious teen style and phrasing, which can be irritating to adults. (As but one example why does he have to use the words 'stuff' and 'literally'?)

The cover says it 'will amaze readers of all ages - young adults, adults, children, octogenarians.'It would have been more honest of his publishers to have said something like 'it's for young adults but people of all ages will find it interesting and enjoyable'. In so doing they would have avoided readers' disappointment (although possibly sold fewer copies!

That said, I would recommend it for young teens and below. I would not want to put adults off, but it is clearly for young readers; so long as adults are prepared for a younger style of writing than his other work they should not be disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Oct 2011 08:29:31 BDT
masonmilan says:
Will Mac expresses precisely my reaction. If I'd known the style was for teenagers I may not have bought the book.
Next time I'll wait for the reviews before ordering.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 21:04:46 GMT
Wyn Ap Hefin says:
I think this book is well pitched for the 'easy' reading level for either Children, or indeed those adults who might be put off by the 'heavier' reading of Dawkins' other books.

I suggest this book will entice new readers in to read the other works of brilliance by this author. Dont forget, this general subject can be rather daunting or even off putting for many adults, so this book is a more gentle overview and introduction to the subject, and the other books, not least, The Ancestors Tale, The Greatest Show on Earth, and, The God Delusion.

I've read all of RD's books, and I think this one fitts nicely into a niche, that was previously vacant! Nice one Richard!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2011 18:18:31 GMT
Cecilia says:
I bought it for a present for someone who had enjoyed Richard Dawkins's other books - but was also a bit puzzled to discover it is aimed for younger readers. Not sure it's going to be appropriate now so feel I've wasted my money. Wish I'd read the reviews first.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2011 18:46:19 GMT
Wyn Ap Hefin says:
Cecilia,
I'm sure your friend will enjoy it all the same - I've a BSc in Natural Sciences, and whilst none of the content was new to me, I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same!

Dawkins' writing style flows beutifully, and whilst I would agree its not as intellectually challenging as his usual work, I'm not convinced this book was aimed specifically at children at all!

Simplified? yes - for sure!
Less 'in your face' than the usual Dawkins?! A little!

But, thats all... so I really wouldnt worry about it, if your friend is a Dawkins fan, I'm sure they will enjoy this book!

Posted on 22 Dec 2011 12:16:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2011 12:16:54 GMT
I would definitely not recommend this book for kids 10-12.
Perhaps reading the fist chapter might bring such sentiments about, but anyone venturing further into the book must have found that it is too challenging for children of that age. I am fairly certain Dawkins made an effort to bring about an understanding of the natural world to people whose knowledge of science is insufficient to grasp some of his other worls but in no way does this book come across as something aimed at children to me.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 22:24:43 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 May 2012 22:49:33 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (233 customer reviews)

£25.00 £19.99