ARRAY(0xb4fee3d8)

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning minimalist album, this is Einaudi at his finest, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: In A Time Lapse (Audio CD)
Einaudi first caught my attention after a friend recommended his album Divenire, which I think was probably my favouite albums of his. I wasn't blown away by Nightbook, and had high hopes for In A Time Lapse. My hopes were met and surpassed.

In A Time Lapse is, like his previous works, dominated by piano and is a delight. This album seems to have slightly more accompaniment by strings and other very unobtrusive electronic/synths, but they never form the backbone of any of the tracks. There's little point in doing a track by track analysis of the album because it is simply stunning from start to finish. I did particularly like "In A Time Lapse" (Track 2) and "Brothers" (Track 7), just because I particularly liked the melody and rhythm of these tracks. The rest are all sublime as well!

The album runs for just short of 1 hour 7 minutes, and the sound quality is brilliant like in previous releases.

One thing I should say is that I disagree somewhat with the previous reviewer Big Jim who said this sounds more ambient than classical. I would say that it is classical, albeit minimalist like his previous works. I guess it's just semantics, but I would associate ambient music with elongated chord sequences that lacks a huge degree of melody and movement. On the contrary, I have always thought Einaudi has had an excellent sense of both melody and rhythm. Sure, this isn't Hollywood blockbuster soundtrack music, nor is it classical music written for a full orchestra. But one of Einaudi's strengths is getting the emotion across with what is a fairly sparse accompaniment. The thing is, it works! For me personally, I enjoyed this album more than my previous favourite Divenire.

Overall, for fans of Einaudi I think this album will hit your musical sweet spot. It sounds fantastic and oozes quality without ever sounding overstated. This music is both relaxing and engaging, and I cannot recommend this highly enough. I would say this is the best Einaudi album to date.

**Update 27/1/13 - I've just seen that he is touring the UK in mid-late April 2013 if you are interested in seeing him in concert. See the comment box for locations and dates. I've posted the website if you want more information. Also, I am just a fan, and not affiliated with any promotional company!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jan 2013 12:46:05 GMT
L. Hubbard says:
Just to let you know, and I was unaware of this, Einaudi will be touring the UK this spring (2013). This website http://www.songkick.com/artists/114869-ludovico-einaudi/calendar?page=2 gives the dates he is playing at. The locations are Birmingham, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Gateshead, London, Brighton and Cardiff in mid-late April. The site gives the names of the concert halls where he is playing, so if you fancy seeing him live, snap up tickets while they are available!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2013 19:25:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Feb 2013 19:30:57 GMT
C. Rayner says:
He is also playing in Nottingham on 24th April, 7.30pm at The Royal Concert Hall. Looking at the booking availability today (22nd Feb) there are 5 seats left in the stalls, and still several in tier 1.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2013 17:38:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Apr 2013 17:55:07 BDT
Was at the Usher Hall, Edinburgh, last night and I'm blown away by the music. Much of the content of this album was played. 10 minute standing ovation was earned and justified !

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2013 23:00:10 BDT
L. Hubbard says:
Couldn't agree more Ronald. Saw him at St David's Hall in Cardiff tonight - world class doesn't even cover it. I encourage anyone who is a fan of his music to see him live at least once if you can - it will be one of the best live concerts you will ever see.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2013 09:27:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Apr 2013 09:29:29 BDT
C. Rayner says:
Likewise; I saw him at Nottingham last week and was completely overawed. Sound and lighting effects were magnificent, and as usual his piano playing gave me goosebumps! This man totally deserves the acclaim, regard, respect and global popularity he is enjoying. The Royal Concert Hall absolutely rocked, there was a huge party atmosphere and when we were all encouraged to clap during the final item in the encore it was as though we were united in one big celebration of the inspiration with which Ludovico's music infused us. I am still suffering with P.E.S. (Post Einaudi Syndrome) and thoroughly wallowing in it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (158 customer reviews)

Reviewer

L. Hubbard
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Cardiff