5.0 out of 5 stars Great EP, 29 July 2010
This review is from: Acoustic (MP3 Download)
I believe more artists should do acoustic versions of their songs. They're so revealing and unforgiving; only true musicians can make acoustic songs sound amazing because they don't require fancy beats or flashing lights to distract anyone from the real purpose of being a musician: the music. When playing acoustically, you can't hide the fact that you cannot actually sing or that auto-tune is your secret best friend.

As much as I love studio songs from my favourite artists, the acoustic versions are almost always superior. Do not get me wrong, I am not disregarding produced songs because that would limit the music I could listen to under the pop/pop-rock genre, but I find that acoustic versions are more emotional (note: not emo) and truthful.

All this is true for Lights's new EP aptly titled LIGHTS. ACOUSTIC. My only troubles with it is that it isn't a full album and so some of my favourite songs are missing (e.g. Second Go, Ice, and Pretend) and that the word "acoustic" doesn't have a full stop after it. If I had my way, it'd be a 15 track album consisting of loads more old songs, new songs and covers. But you can't please everyone.

1. River (Acoustic Version)
I never paid much attention to this song whilst listening to her album (i.e. I never went out of my way to put it on repeat) but the acoustic version is very lovely. Have you ever liked a song more after hearing it live or acoustic? This is one of these times.

2. February Air (Acoustic Version)
This is one of my least favourite songs from The Listening. I like it all apart from the screaming/shouting parts during the song: "YEAAAH. YEAAAR-AIR!!!!!!!!". Luckily, the acoustic managed to avoid this annoyance. Thus, I really enjoy it!

3. Fall Back Down (Acoustic Version)
This is my least favourite track on the EP. It's nothing to do with Lights or her vocals, I'm just not a fan of the Rancid song.

4. Saviour (Acoustic Version)
This is my FAVOURITE track from the EP. Wow. You can just feel the passion (e.g. at 3:07) and imagine her recording this song in her bedroom with her eyes closed, lost in the lyrics. Cliché, but so true.

5. Romance Is... (Acoustic Version)
All fans just love new songs. We thrive on them. This new one is not a disappointment. Lights wrote this whilst in her teens but you wouldn't know it when listening to it. It's a very beautiful song and quite different from the songs on The Listening. I love the "Slow it all down, the damage is done" part.

Whether you're a fan of Lights's auto-tuned album (whether this is true or not, I don't know. I can never tell. I don't care much either because I love it) or not, I'd definitely recommend this EP.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]