5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable value for the price and quality., 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: LG 50PA650T 50-inch Full HD 1080p Plasma TV with Freeview and 3 HDMI Ports (Electronics)
Ok so I rarely write reviews on things I buy but this is one of those ones which I think is worthy of a mention. I did not have a lot of money to spare, so buying thr right TV was a big issue for me. Like most people, I spent a bit of time contemplating on which tv technology was best for me, i.e. LCD/LED/plasma. After a bit of research I realized plasma suited my needs the best as I watch a lot of sports, and plasma offers better high speed movements, better contrast ratio, better viewing angles, and more natural colour tones, the black colours are much better and this is important if you'd like to get as close a cinema experience at home as you can. I was not too bothered about 3D hence why I chose this model. A good review of how the three technologies compare can be found here [...]

So what are the good points of this tv?
1. Very easy to setup. Took me and the missus around 10 minutes and we were up and running. It comes with a stand, and if you want to wallmount it, I think you need to get a separate bracket. We did not wall mount ours.

2. Looks absolutely gorgeous in your living room. Well built and sturdy. Nice finish. The remote is also well laid out, eventhough it is a bit plasticky.

3. Enough HDMI ports and also has a USB port and ethernet port. We connected our xbox 360, bluray and Sky+ HD box without any problems. I did not use the BBC iPlayer, youtube and picasa apps that came with it as I had all those things and more via my xbox 360. But you can utilize those built in apps via an ethernet connection. Wifi needs an external dongle I think.

4. Plays media files on your external hardisk via USB. I was pleasantly surprised by this. So far it has played (and upscaled nicely when needed) all my files. Wmv, avi, even MKV without any problems at all. Well impressed.

5. Picture quality is absolutely stunning, including gaming. You feel immersed in whatever you are watching and it just takes viewing tv to another level. The colours are gorgeous and you dont need to tinker round much with the settings as it detects the lighting itself and adjusts accordingly. Of course u can adjust it if u want which was what I did and this was pretty straightforward. Fast moving images were superb (Sky Sports HD looks breathtaking!). David Attenborough's documentaries never looked so good!

6. Sound is surprisingly deep and good enough for me, considering how thin it is.

7. Cheap considering what you get for your money.

The not so good bits:
1. There is a bit of glare if you are in a brightly lit room.

2. There is no SMART TV hub that you find in Samsung's tvs. But then again I had my xbox connected to it and I used my Lovefilm, Youtube, and BBC iPlayer etc via xbox so it wasn't an issue at all. In fact I feel the xbox apps are much better designed.

3. Not wifi enabled. Needs an ethernet cable for internet connection. Not so much an issue in my case, as my xbox was connected to the internet and I used the xbox for all the 'smart tv' apps.

4. It is not as bright as an LED tv which you will realize is the case with all plasmas. In exchange, the colours feel more 'natural'. They are still bright, but of course not as bright as LEDs. Unless you have a massive living room then this will probably not be such an issue.

So that's it really. All in all, for this price and quality, it really is exceptional value for money and I would highly recommend this model for anyone out there looking for a solid, well-priced, large screen tv with lots of good features and outstanding picture quality.

[Add comment]