5.0 out of 5 stars My best garmin to date, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Garmin Oregon 600 Handheld GPS (Electronics)
This isn't comprehensive but I wanted to say how the 600 delivers what my Oregon 450 failed.

When I bought the 450 a few years ago I thought this was going to be my perfect device but it let me down in a number of ways.

The 450 screen looked brilliant indoors. The first time I took it out on an overcast day I could have cried. I could hardly see the screen. In direct sunlight, at certain angles, it looked as clear as paper but at other angles it was dim. I could live with this hiking but it was unusable cycling since you can't really adjust your viewing angle on the fly. The 600 screen is way superior in all respects.

The 450 was touch screen but it was not very sensitive. To scroll lists or the map I would often resort to using my fingernail rather than my finger pad. The 600 is super sensitive (sensitivity is adjustable). No repeated attempts to jab a menu option, pan the map etc. The downside is that I need to be strict about locking the display when not using it.

Most of the time I use my GPS with the map displayed. On the 450 flipping to other functions then back to the map was laborious, involving backing out of the map screen, digging down through other menus, then back up again, then back into the map screen. Now with the 600 you tap the bars at the bottom right of the map screen to access context functions including toggling maps. You can add a dashboard with configurable fields at the top of the display that easily retracts. Access to track controls are simple. The physical buttons can be mapped to functions or combinations of functions (a kind of macro) which is extremely powerful.

On the 450, when presented with a list of maps, each item was large and required a lot of scrolling. Each item was logically a toggle but in fact you had to select the item then enable/disable it. The 600 gives you a list where you can toggle each item with one touch.

On the 450 I often wanted several custom (kmz) maps of the same area but was unable to toggle between them - it was all or none. In the 600 you can toggle individual custom maps.

Finally the optional battery pack for the 600 - this is nothing more than 2 x 2000 mAh NiMH batteries strapped together - the "strap" depresses the button in the battery case enabling USB recharging. Surely you can take a couple of similarly rated batteries at a fraction of the cost and fashion a strap with a bit of tape or plastic to do the same?

Oh, I don't do enough geocaching to comment on its abilities there. I'm sure others will comment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Aug 2013 18:05:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2013 18:09:22 BDT
S. Hunt says:
Clearly you had many of the same reservations about the 450 that I do (see my review). While the screen legibility isn't a problem for me, the constant movement up and down the menu tree to adjust settings is extremely tedious. So it looks like I'll be finding an excuse to upgrade to the 600. It's a shame that the downside of the more sensitive touchscreen is the need to lock the screen becomes even greater (already bad enough on the 450). Does the 600 have an auto-lock feature to lock it after a timeout?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2013 19:49:53 BDT
Robbie says:
There is a battery save mode which turns the display off (effectively locking it) after the backlight timeout setting. That gave me the idea of mapping the User button to toggling the display on and off. So with one button press I can turn the screen off before I put the unit in my pocket. It would be nice to map screen lock (ie leave screen on but locked) to a single button press but that does not seem possible. For that you are stuck with pressing the power key and hitting the small lock icon.

Posted on 4 Aug 2013 17:22:02 BDT
UberScrim says:
Can you navigate / set Landmarks to an OS Grid Reference (ideally 8 figure, or perhaps 10), rater than using Lat & Long. co-ordinates, as my old Magellan Blazer12 requires?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2013 21:36:22 BDT
Robbie says:
Yes you can. If the position format is configured to British Grid then you can do "where to" then "Coordinates" then you can type in OS coordinates in the form of 2 letter grid square followed by 10 digits of coordinates. That gets stored as a waypoint which can be edited via the waypoint manager. All much easier on a touch screen that using buttons on old units.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2013 20:18:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Aug 2013 20:59:20 BDT
UberScrim says:
That's good news, a few more questions if I may:
- What do you do if you only have 8 figure references, do you just add a zero to the end of each group of 4 digits?
- As I do not always have the two letters, can you display your current position with grid reference details to identify this on screen by default (I sometimes only get an extract of the map, so don't get the sheet info.)

Thanks in anticipation of a response and any info. you can provide.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2013 23:00:59 BDT
Robbie says:
Yes, 10 digits is down to 1 metre so an 8 digit reference is to 10 metres - you would add zeros as you describe to each of the eastings and northings. The garmin ( if configured to display OS grid) will always show the 2 letter prefix and 10 digit (1 metre) reference for waypoints or your current position. I think that is what you are asking!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2013 23:02:23 BDT
UberScrim says:
Yes, that's great, thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›