8 of 10 people found the following review helpful
It's like Kingdom Hearts meets Pokémon. Sounds good on paper but...,
This review is from: Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch (PS3) (Video Game)
Here's a simple list of + and - checks.
* Beautifully designed, acute details
* Old-school world map
* No grinding necessary
* Great soundtrack
* Charming story, above average voice performances
* Nice implementation of encouraging use of defending
* Ultimately too easy
* Uncreative/unexciting design of familiars (monsters)
* Major battle flaws
- Some moves will cause cutscenes that interrupt everything else --This is a MAJOR annoyance later on--
- Setting tactics is not advanced enough
- AI never properly adapts to situations and always seems to be 'casually agressive'
* Quests are all basically 'fetch' missions. Some are short, some are long.
To elaborate on the beef of the game (the battles). They have tried to combine the action RPG elements used similarly in Kingdom Hearts, with traditional turn based point-and-select options. However, the points made about battles above ultimately causes too many headaches, and rather than the player fighting difficult opponents, you end up fighting with a difficult system design.