5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, 28 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1) (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book which was recommended to me by a friend. As someone who is not usually a crime fiction fan (I certainly never buy them), I was not very enthusiastic about it but had some curiousity because of the rave reviews it was getting in other areas also. I found the beginning of the book a bit tedious and was starting to think it was not for me, but, all of a sudden, it got a grip and I found that I was most reluctant to put it down! I have now had the satisfaction of finishing it this morning after a record reading time. I found the book most entertaining, evoking many differing emotions - suspense, disgust, intrigue, and some laughs also. The location being in Sweden was interesting and the translation certainly did not affect the impact of the storytelling. The two main characters were likeable and I grew fond of them and found myself caring about them. The author certainly can reach the reader and at the end, my main emotion was one of satisfaction. I certainly intend to the read his other two books.
Jean Ross

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 24 posts in this discussion
Posted on 1 Jan 2011 09:57:12 GMT
LillyAnn says:
This book was also given me by a friend, I couldn`t put it down, and have now read the complete trilogy& watched the 1st film.Fantastic!. shame there won`t be any more books from the author.

Posted on 21 Jun 2011 19:03:26 BDT
The "slow" start to the Story is something that I have already been advised of, however, I have also been advised this is unique to the First book only. I intend reading the First book and take it from there.

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 15:57:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Sep 2011 16:00:01 BDT
welshwizzard says:
A well-balanced review which echoes many of my own thoughts. However, I shall not be reading any more from the trilogy as overall I cannot say that I found the book 'entertaining' - but I kept reading it to see if all the hype surrounding this work is justified or not. For me the answer has to be NO; however my partner loved all three. It's all down to individual taste it seems.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011 10:16:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Sep 2011 10:23:07 BDT
frenchcathy says:
thank you for your insight.i am now reading the"the girl who played with fire and cannot put it down!!!!i am such a fan that i have also ordered the dvd of "the girl with the golden tatoo"and cannot wait to watch it and compare it with the book.However i appreciate you didnt see what all the fuss was about.At the end of the day as you clearly state we dont share the same tastes!!!thank god.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2011 20:49:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Sep 2011 20:52:17 BDT
welshwizzard says:
There is new film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo out on general release on 26 December 2011. I think it is Daniel Craig (007) who takes the leading role of Kalle Blomkvist. My partner has the three films currently available on DVD but I believe that these are either dubbed and/or have subtitles. So far, she has only watched the film of the first book; but I declined to watch as I had not then finished reading the book. Since I have now finished the book - I am going to wait to see the new film when it is on general release after Christmas. Hope you enjoy the other two volumes.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2011 10:33:33 BDT
frenchcathy says:
Thank you for this info.Iwill look forward to seeing a different DVD version of the book although i thoroughly enjoyed the film and found the characters amazingly faithful to the book .I cannot imagine another Salander.She definitely was the girl i read all about . i am now looking forward to watching "the girl with who played with fire.I am at the moment half way through reading the last of the trilogy and cannot wait for the conclusion .This is gripping stuff !!!!!!Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2011 21:52:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Sep 2011 21:54:17 BDT
welshwizzard says:
Glad you are enjoying the trilogy. A friend had told me (though it had slipped my mind) that all the current DVD films keep to the 3 books very faithfully - which is so often not the case; for all sorts of reasons. I am between two minds now what to read next. Although not a natural reader of Crime books, I am more than a little tempted to try The Girl Who Played With Fire. However, the publicity surrounding Jo Nesbo's books featuring the Harry Hole character is drawing me in the direction of yet another Scandinavian author. I guess I'm very susceptible to marketing hype!!

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 00:18:13 GMT
tigger says:
I am reading this book at present , and have the same feelings.

Posted on 15 Feb 2012 13:12:07 GMT
i also felt that the first 2 chapters were a bit boring and thought i was going to get fed up and give up on the book, however i kept reading and was hooked. what a brilliant book i am going to buy the girl who played with fire by stieg larsson next.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2012 10:25:28 GMT
you will love the next 2 books

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,870 customer reviews)
 (1,068)