207 of 218 people found the following review helpful
One word: Amazing,
This review is from: Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III LED Desktop Wired Speaker System - Transparent (Electronics)
After hearing the Harman Kardon II's a few times from my friends, and in the Apple store, I was intrigued and wanted to give these a shot.
It's worth noting that this model is an upgrade from the previous Harman Kardon Soundsticks II. There a few differences:
1. Black base on the HK3 instead of the previous white. Personally I think the black looks much sleeker.
2. The audio cables are detachable rather than attached directly to the subwoofer. It's also worth noting that the cables are not detachable from the satellite speakers however.
3. Instead of the blue LED light that featured in the previous version, this one shows off a white LED light. Which one is `better' is down to personal preference, I like the white one myself.
These speakers are really something special. The sound clarity is so accurate and crisp that I have noticed some of my songs in my collection have a `hiss' sound that I have never heard before, indicating they are poor quality versions. Furthermore, I hear sounds in songs that I've not heard before on my late Logitech Z-2300's. The louder you play these speakers the more beautiful the sound is. They are also superb for movies, the bass can easily be turned down preventing it from drowning out the vocals in films. Overall in terms of sound they are easily the best I've heard in this price range, and I honestly think they are not far off the Bose Companions.
In terms of physical build, despite the sensational design, no compromises on quality were made. They feel so solid and quality. The speaker's angle can be adjusted depending on how you prefer them. Just a word of advice, the angle of the speakers and their location can have a big influence on the quality of the sound produced. It's something that's worth getting right. The subwoofer is beautiful with three wires coming out from the back, all of which are detachable. The wires feel strong and are also a similar colour to the system making them fit in perfectly.
- Amazing sound quality and bass
- Easy on the eyes
- Solid build
- Priced well
- Too many bulky cables come from the back of the subwoofer
I've owned these for two weeks now, and will add more details if anything relevant comes up. So far, so good though!
Prior to purchasing these speakers I owned the Logitech Z-2300 set. Here is a quick comparison between the two, if you are deciding between these two speaker sets:
1. The Logitech has much deeper bass than the HK3 set, but excessive bass that drowned out the rest of the sound. That makes the Logitechs poor for movies.
2. The HK3 is obviously much sexier, smaller, and more desk friendly.
3. Although the Logitech Z-2300's are obviously much louder, the HK3 provides more than enough volume for the average user, even if it's for a house party.
4. Finally the quality of the sound and its clarity is far more superior on the HK3.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Feb 2011 15:12:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Feb 2011 15:13:12 GMT
David Glasgow says:
Great review -: cheers!!! :)
Posted on 23 Apr 2011 17:17:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Apr 2011 17:19:05 BDT
Mr. J. Powell says:
I got these for my birthday in April to pair up with a Mac Desktop and the difference in sound quality (in built speaker vs these HK's) is miles apart. One note on HD's otherwise excellent review is that the bass adjust is by a rotary 'wheel' on the subwoofer, which also serves as the on/off switch (by pressing in and out). This means that if you are unlucky/clumsy or just can't get at the switch properly to press it in that you will inadvertently 'drag' the rotary wheel and ruin your set-up. The subwoofer is a beauty though - reminds me of a bell jar for some reason and its years since I have been at school!
In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2011 18:54:55 BDT
M. Hymus says:
thanks for posting a review buddie appreciate it, im looking to buy my first imac desktop in a couple of months and looking to get myself some decent speakers and these look like they will do the job nicely..
Posted on 1 Jan 2012 15:02:14 GMT
S. Ferriday says:
Hi really thinking of buying these speakers as they have amazing reviews but could you tell me if it is at all possible to hook them up through my tv (head phone jack i think) and if the sound would still be as good quality if so???
‹ Previous 1 Next ›