2.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Toshiba Satellite C55-A-1UC 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i3-4000M 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1) - Silver (Personal Computers)
I've had this laptop for two days, and I am seriously considering sending it back as "not of merchantable quality". There are several problems.

I became aware of the first when using the left control key and it started making a clicking sound. It turned out that the keys protrude through a piece of plastic, and that this was not seated properly. Consequently the key caught on the raised area. I pressed this down and, although it clearly isn't right, it has given me no more trouble.

But this caused me to lean on the left corner of the laptop. I was shocked to find that it bent down, even when sitting flat on a desk! Almost a centimeter, when I lean on it. The reason seems to be that the DVD drive is underneath, but the consequence is that the surface is not solid. It may have a metal plate across the top of it - and now we know why! -- but it's rubbish.

The third problem became apparent when typing an email. The keys don't register my keystrokes, and I find myself having to retype them. I don't think this is me - it really is unresponsive, unless you hit the keys hard (and those of us who use keyboards a lot try not to do this, to avoid RSI, arthritis, etc).

The machine is loaded with crap-ware, but I expected no less and have removed most of it. The instructions for getting started are fine.

I haven't yet worked out which of the 2 USB ports is the USB3 port, tho. Nothing indicates it. Even the PDF-manuals on disk are generic (shame on you, Toshiba).

Toshiba is a brand. I expect better. But instead I was disappointed the day I got it, and disappointed last night. If it weren't a faff to return, I would probably already have sent it back. I didn't expect much, at a cheap price; but I feel that I got less.

It doesn't feel particularly swift either.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Feb 2014 19:14:06 GMT
the usb 3 is blue

Posted on 7 May 2014 22:35:20 BDT
David says:
OMG! You say when you were leaning onto the corner of the laptop it bent down?? That's really shocking!!

I mean, because laptops are of course built to withstand the weight of a full grown man! That's the whole purpose of a laptop! The name "laptop" does NOT at all mean that it's supposed to be placed on TOP of your LAP. No: UNDER your body weight. Yeah, right.

I'll really have to be careful with my laptop to avoid that it bends down too! ;-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›