4.0 out of 5 stars Superb box-set, if you can handle Haneke...., 3 April 2012
This review is from: The Films of Michael Haneke (10 discs) [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly, I should say that I wrote this review originally for the other 10 film anthology of Michael Haneke advertised on Amazon, which I purchased. As this one is the same but packaged differently, currently available (the other is not) and without any reviews so far, I've simply copied it here. I imagine that it would be equally applicable to both.

No-one can honestly say that watching ten Michael Haneke films is a guilty pleasure. In fact, I rather dislike them and question why I actually am, when I do.

It's because I admire the man, as both a film-maker and for having the guts to make his work uncompromising and potentially uncommercial . Having studied psychology, he extends that to us via thought-provoking, often extremely disturbing but always memorable films.

Before I bought the set, I couldn't say that I'd seen any of his movies, but I had. The Piano Teacher, with Isabelle Huppert, Funny Games and Hidden, I'd all seen on Film 4 at some time. The White Ribbon (not included in this set) I'd also seen.

Now adding The Seventh Continent and Benny's Video to that list, after starting to work my way through the set, I have new admiration for this Austrian. Often taking the most potentially boring and straightforward subjects - middle-class Austrian families and their disintegration, whatever reasons or conditions that might cause that and makes us sit through their laboured anguish and pain. So, if they're so uncomfortable to watch, why did I buy the ten film anthology, for goodness sake?

One, it was cheap, second, I thought myself more worthy if I did and three, I like box-sets, especially when they cover a huge chunk of a director's, or actor's work. Whether they're good enough reasons, who knows and likewise, to those who might be considering getting it for themselves.

If you want all but his latest work in one, nicely laid out set (they open out, fan-like, in two separate cases) and/or like Haneke, then certainly, go for it. Strangely, I now want to revisit the movies of his I'd already seen, put them into context and compare them.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]