5.0 out of 5 stars Idea validation and customer development done right - why and how, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you (Paperback)
The Mom Test is exactly what I needed at exactly the right time. It's a complete guide to real customer understanding. I'm a first time entrepreneur starting up a web based social travel and language website. I've done a lot of research on idea validation and customer development, but none have been as easy to understand, useful, comprehensive, straight forward and eye opening as this. Let me explain.

As a founder I was very confident with my business idea from feedback I had got from friends and acquaintances. Who isn't? Based on what I was asking, who I was asking and how I was asking it, I had no reason not to be (blindly) confident. But I still had some lingering doubts that my target market might not feel the same way. Then Rob released this book and I snapped it up. I've taken a course run by him in the past so I knew he was a guru on the topic.

While reading it I soon realised that my approach was completely wrong and was only going to give me responses I wanted to hear, that were not a true reflection of what people actually thought. Useless, and it easily could have taken me down the wrong path.

The Mom Test explained exactly what I was doing wrong and why, with easy to understand examples. Then it gave me a step by step process of how to have real conversations with the right people to get relevant information, with reasoning behind each part of the process. I'm still learning, but now my conversations are far more real and give me useful information.

The most interesting thing is that before reading this book I had no idea how badly I was conducting my customer research. And I doubt it's just me because what I was doing seemed to be ok and made some sort of sense. The real value of this book is in the right way to do it, which is probably not what you would think.

Finally, I would say this book is a must read for early stage businesses as well as later stage businesses that want a deeper understanding of their customers.

Ps. Thankfully, now I'm even more confident with my business.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]