10 of 13 people found the following review helpful
Better than the one star bandits seem to think.,
This review is from: Oblivion [DVD + UV Copy]  (DVD)
I only just got round to watching this. I held back because I am not a big cruise fan and I am sick of a lot of current CGI messes that pass for SF right now but that was a mistake. I do not write a lot of reviews but the low rating by some here who either did not watch the whole film, or based comments on the trailer lead me to put in a bit of balance.
You can get the premise form the other reviews so I'll comment on the quality
* Yes the plot it predictable after a short bit into the film, but anyone that's read a lot of SF finds that with most `novel' [sic] SF movies.
* The images were through provoking and great compared to most films which just go for too fast to watch CGI.
* The pace was fine.
* The effects were good and looked fine to me.
* The weakest bit of sets for me was the set for the bit near the lake.
* The acting was fine. In fact I reckon taking the full plot in to account Cruise is spot on as the support cast. Yes it will not win awards but which SF films ever do for acting.
Unlike a lot of more superficial SF this leaves room to look for plot holes and think would it really work that way. Some consider this a weakness while for me a film or book that makes me think even if the premise is flawed (which I am not so sure it is in this case as it holds up OK) can be better than overly simple CGI festivals with no plot at all.
So it gets four stars as it was for me worth watching, I enjoyed it and I'd be happy to watch it again.