ARRAY(0xabc82ccc)

3.0 out of 5 stars What's happened to the volume?, 15 Dec 2009
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black - 6th Generation (Electronics)
New Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black

I bought one of these, the latest 8th gen model, despite warnings from other reviewers on Amazon that it now had a cap on volume, which I really didn't want; yes, I know, I had to hear it for myself. It's true, the maximum volume has been reduced by about 30%. This is a problem when listening to quiet music such as classical and acoustic folk in noisy places such as buses, trains and my local gym where I failed to drown out the disco. I have found that many older albums, eg from the 60s such as Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell albums, have been recorded to CD at a low volume level, and similarly, the maximum volume level attainable from this new iPod is not enough for these. I don't mean ear-shattering volume and 100% of the time, but a proper volume control should allow for all possibilities. There are three ways to up the volume on this model: the volume control, a volume limiter in "settings" on the root menu, and in the iTunes software (although this merely adjusts all songs in your library to the same average level, it doesn't boost volume to any significant degree). Even with all of these up to the max you would have a problem with quiet music in noisy environments.

This is a real shame, I bought one on the basis of hearing the volume and quality from my son's iPod nano, but this just doesn't have the same power. It is, 'though, a beautifully made and feature-packed player, simple to use. If volume isn't an issue for you, then great, no reservations, but if it is, I recommend hearing one if you can, before you buy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Dec 2009 13:19:34 GMT
Have you tried selecting all 'quiet' songs in iTunes, going into 'Get Info' and 'Options' and adjusting the volume there? You may have to remove and re-sync the songs from your iPod but I believe this may help.

Posted on 24 Dec 2009 20:44:44 GMT
Tim says:
If I remember correctly, there is an option in iTunes to set the default volume of a track higher specifically for that reason... I may be wrong but I'm sure I remember something like that!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2009 20:24:05 GMT
RobH says:
New Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black
Thanks for your helpful comment. You are correct, and I discovered this option after posting my review. You don't need to remove and resync the songs from the iPod. However, it still doesn't push the volume up high enough for the quiet songs and gives some distortion when pushed to the max. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a portable music player.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2009 11:13:44 GMT
Hey Rob,I dont think you are expecting too much. For an outlay of nearly 200 you would expect to be able to shatter your ear drumms if you so desired.Thanks for info,you have just saved me nearly 200 and a whole loada dissapointment. Keep it loud, Regards Li.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2009 19:42:35 GMT
Wayne says:
Guys the volume restriction is down to a stupid EU law and only affects Ipods sold in the EU. Pop over to Amazon.com and get one from the US where the volume has not been tampered with and will work perfectly as normal when syncing to a UK computer with a UK Itunes account.

Posted on 4 Jan 2010 13:40:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2010 13:42:44 GMT
There are utilities (I use a freebie called Mp3gain, but I'm sure there are others) that can adjust the volumes of mp3 files. I use this to "normalise" all mp3s on a per-album basis to the same level. I can do this to tracks already loaded into iTunes without loss of tags, stats etc. This is pretty useful if you start mixing things up on shuffle as it keeps volumes similar to each other.

And yes, the "volumes" of tracks ripped from CD do vary substantially from CD to CD.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 7 Jan 2010 00:29:08 GMT
Joe says:
Try investing in some noise-cancelling ear/headphones ??

Posted on 7 Jan 2010 19:47:14 GMT
nuetut says:
on the news i heard that they were putting a cap on the volume that mp3 players/ ipods could go up to. This is becaus too many people are losing their hearing.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2010 11:39:38 GMT
I bought the 120 GB model last year (not from Amazon). That didn't work for me. It just meant the volume capped out when its positions was around 30% of the max. The shop initially wouldn't take it back. I selected all the tracks in iTunes, and REDUCED the volume as far as it would go. Took it back to the shop, some kid listened to it, said the music was inaudible, and I got a refund.
There has been speculation that the volume cap is due to an EU limit, but as another poster said, this isn't in legislation yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2010 16:40:33 GMT
RobH says:
New Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black Nice trick.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (515 customer reviews)

199.00 176.67