5.0 out of 5 stars try not to spoil it!, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Cabin in the Woods [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I feel like I start every review of a horror film with this statement, I do not like horror films, I am not a fan and I never will be and I am really not an authority on the subject. But with that said, Cabin in the Woods is the best horror film I have ever watched to this date, taking the crown away from my previous favourite 28 Days Later.

Why is it so good? Because it is self aware, it knows what it is and it knows you know what it is and it uses that to its advantage.

For fear of spoiling this film, I'm going to keep this review nice and short. This is one of those films that is best served raw, the less you know about it the better, try to not even read a synopsis because it will detract from the sublime experience that is this film. I'm trying my best to not spoil this at all in this review because to do so would be a misdeed similar to spoiling The Sixth Sense.

The cast line up is adequate and features a pre-fame Chris Hemsworth, which obviously served as a way for this feature to stick out from the crowd. Luckily, Cabin in the Woods was delayed due to the bankruptcy of MGM and by the time it was released, Thor had already come out and Avengers was just on the horizon serving, to give the film more exposure than it previously would have got.

The true stars of this feature though were in the form of writer Joss Whedon and writer/ director Drew Goddard. Originality would be the word to describe what they bring to this production. Without telling you what the story is; they manage to explain why horror films are the way they are. The directional debut of Goddard is also extremely promising as he seems to have a natural knack of creating terror and suspense without relying on cheap jump cuts and shaky cam.

This film is an absolute master piece and in a sea of mediocre horror cash cows with crappy stories and unskilled people behind the camera, this film stands head and shoulders above the rest. Recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Feb 2015 12:53:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2015 12:54:00 GMT
Hate on me if you will but your first paragraph invalidates this review. True horror fans thought Cabin was pish, true it had some neat ideas and is hardly the worst movie ever, but you get my point.

Personally I hate musicals, still if I watched and enjoyed one and I wouldn't be bragging about it. Know your genre first.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2015 13:07:37 GMT
bizmandan says:
I watched it, loved it, why do I have to be a "true" horror fan to have enjoyed it? What a strange thing to say? Horror may not be my favourite genre but I am a huge fan of film in general and to say that my review is invalid just because I don't share the same tastes as you sort of defeats the point of reviews. This isn't a medium for me to tell you what you think of the film but rather tell you what I thought of the film and writing a review is by no means "bragging" it is telling you what I thought so you can make an informed purchase. I'm not going to "hate" on you, but I will tell you that I completely and utterly disagree with you and inform you that your point is totally mute.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2015 17:43:57 GMT
Fair enough- The problem is when studios green light this project it really just sanitizes the whole genre. We have to be careful that horror doesn't turn into a CGI mash up sci fi effect. And people like you rave about a very average movie with admittingly a neat twist and Hollywood listens. There is a B movie called Dropping Evil, same premise but done better and I believe came out before Cabin.... The only thing I need to point out which is wholly untrue is your unskilled people behind the lens making crappy horror movies. That is lazy writing and a real scary way to think. I have been involved in the crew of such films, and whilst I can agree that the vision isn't always put on screen as well as it could be- by and large these people have studied and do know what they are doing. Get on a set be part of a crew and you will see these people busting themselves to make a project work on next to no money 16 hours a day. You can hate on horror but please don't come in here with judgmental views because young filmmakers aren't capable of delivering you the next Titanic.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2015 18:52:42 GMT
bizmandan says:
You are blatantly very passionate about horror and I respect that, I actually do know the work that goes into film making, I have done a bit of amateur work myself. I appreciate everything that goes into any film, but just because the film is not an independent one, it doesn't detract from its quality. I don't think cabin in the woods was really that commercially successful, so I think Hollywood would be hard pressed to "listen" as you say (notice lack of cabin in the woods two) I think this film is fun and is probably only classes as a horror because of the material it is spoofing. Really cabin in the woods should be looked upon as a version of "scary movie" if scary movie was actually good. I don't think this is a film that was just phoned in, I think just the fact that this film survived a studio bankruptcy proves that the makers were very passionate about getting this released. As for the writing, joss wheadon co-wrote this and I think he is widely considered as on of the best writers out there so I think your opinion is completely against the grain. I get where you're coming from, I empathise, but I disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2015 19:06:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2015 19:07:52 GMT
bizmandan says:
Also regarding the last paragraph, I didn't mean to blanket the horror genre as a crappy genre, I was critiquing the paranormal activities' and the reboots of Friday the 13th and the predictable cash cows that Hollywood put out, not the film makers that try and put out something that they're passionate about. I would never do that, I respect the pioneers of cinema, always.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2015 10:07:34 GMT
With DVD/Blu Ray sales Cabin made a clear 50m profit, so not too bad for the genre. My biggest problem with the movie is the spoofing aspect which I'm afraid it got all wrong. If they really had succeeded in a nod, wink and being self aware to the genre then you who have admitted not liking horror would not have 'got it', but you did. See what I mean? Horror fans would much prefer movies that did it right- Student Bodies, Wacko, Scream, My Name is Bruce, Behind the Mask, Tucker and Dale to name a few. They nailed it.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2015 11:20:58 GMT
bizmandan says:
Aaaah ha! Tucker and dale vs evil!!! I love that film that is one of my favourites I rave about that to all my friends!!! I "got" that one as well so I think your point has just been invalidated once again. I have got a feeling that neither us are going to convince the other, but at least we can both agree that tucker and dale was awesome. (also a fan of scream, maybe I do like horror?)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2015 15:59:55 GMT
No, you like horror comedies.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2015 07:37:33 GMT
bizmandan says:
You're a last word sort of person aren't you?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (296 customer reviews)

£24.99 £6.00