5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph!, 18 April 2006
This review is from: Peeping Tom (Audio CD)
I've waited for this, Patton's return to the mainstream, patiently for 4(? more?) loooooong years now, and it's finally with us. Must be a disappointment then, right?

Wrong! This is Mike's most complete, rounded work since California. The culmination of all his many (excellent)side projects. You can hear the styles all drawn together into one coherent package: Tomahawk, Bungle, Lovage, X-cutioners (Fantomas...not so much) and yes.....Faith No More. Even the nasal style of singing used on the Real Thing makes a welcome return on some tracks! I have always approached a new Patton record with anticipation and more than a littel trepidation, and usually end up feeling frustrated, KNOWING he's capable of more. Don't get me wrong....I respect and appreciate almost everything he's done, but never felt satisfied in the way I feel with this recording. At the end of listening 1st time through, I just sat back and thought WOW! and then grabbed the headphones again.

Although every track is a collaboration with a different artist, the album flows beautifully, and the styles and influences sit together perfectly, complimenting each other. The production values are very high and polished, each track multi-layered and best appreciated through headphones.

I've only listened to the album twice through so far, so will not dissect the album track by track. A brief overview of what I remember from my limited listening:
We're Not Alone - blew me away completely. Most straightforward RAWK on the album, very Real Thing-esque chorus. Fantastic.
Mojo - Angel Dusty? Yeah, I would say so. Great sinister beat too.
Kill the DJ - Very cool, great beats...Massive Attack? Nice one Mike.
I'll write more about individual songs when I've given them a proper listen. The one's listed above are probably the most straight forward, so don't know what that says about me - but hey, sitting here 24hrs after listening to the album they are the ones that stand out in my memory. Sue me!

This is a magnificent album. I'm biased as I love all things Patton, but have never felt compelled to write a review for ANYTHING before, so that should speak volumes.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]