5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, but worth it, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black/Silver (Electronics)
I have had this product for almost a year now. I don't use it a huge amount and I hardly fly anywhere (which I think is one of Bose's key markets for this product). However, whenever I use this product I am always impressed.

I use this product in my office to cut down the surrounding noise, and also when I am working in noisy server rooms. I suppose a server room is a similar sort of "thrum" as you would get on a plane. It won't totally stop sudden noises (for example fireworks), but it will reduce the volume of them considerably.

In short I think this product is excellent - it takes an oppressive, tiring environment and turns it into easily bearable near-silence.

I find them fairly comfortable, but I see how some people would feel that they were putting pressure on their ears. I think this is an area where you just have to see how it affects you. They do make your ears a little sweaty after a while, but you will find that both of these situations occur with any closed back headphone. I suppose the answer is to take them off for a couple of minutes every half an hour - which can only be good for you.

In terms of sound quality, I am used to high end hi-fi at home (so I know what I am listening for), and yes, these headphones would be beaten by an equivalent-priced pair of Sennheisers or Grados. However, they produce a very good overall sound that I don't think anyone should really complain about. Remember, you are buying these headphones because you want to isolate the outside and have a bit of tranquility for yourself - so why would you want to replace that outside noise with thumping heavy bass?

I think Bose deserves two thumbs up for this product - technically they are well thought out (they even have a nice slim 3.5mm connector that will fit into a smartphone without fouling the smartphone case). I have the Bose Stereo upgrade (with noise cancellation etc) in my Audi and I am suitably impressed with it as well.

The main criticism that I tend to read is about sound quality - if you are nit-picking, yes, you can find better, but in terms of the way it transforms a tiring nightmare environment into a near-silent foundation onto which you can lay your favourite tunes, I think these are a very tough act to beat.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]