5.0 out of 5 stars This was my first Avengers figure...but not my last!!, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Avengers Hawkeye 1:6 Scale Movie Masterpiece Figure By Hot Toys (Toy)
Like a previous reviewer, I bought this at retail directly from Sideshow Collectibles. It was a Hot Toys (or as I call them here HT)figure and I had some already so I knew that they were the company to beat when it came to high end 1:6 scale figures. However, with this goes the top price. They are the top company and they set the bar of quality very high, so they can set the price when it comes to selling this to the public. To set the scene, here is a little history regarding this figure...

It's strange that so many people seemed to miss what happened to the Nick Fury figure. I assume that many did not think that history would repeat itself so quickly, and within the same range of characters...and they were wrong.

I know from reading many 1:6 scale figure, collector's forums that this had been one that a large number of collectors assumed would be easy to pass on at first and then pick up after the rest of the AVENGERS figures had been released. This however, was not the case and it caught a lot of people out because Hawkeye had started to sell-out across the internet and the price was starting to rise for new MISB (Mint In Sealed Box) figures. Just like Nick Fury had, shortly before, people are now scrambling for brand new Hawkeye figures at the best price they can find. It's a scalper's paradise right now.

My Hawkeye Figure.

Hawkeye, as my title line states, was my first Avengers figure. it arrived and I was so excited, I felt like a child again. These were the kinds of things I would've loved to have bought when I was a boy...and so in a way, it was the reawakened young boy inside me that was the one who actually opened it.

Hot Toys did not scrimp on HE, he is a great figure. The tailoring on the costume is superb and as a straight reproduction of Jeremy Renner's on screen garb is highly accurate. With a whole heap of extras it is easy to get him into a good pose, though sadly you will have to compromise a little when it comes to the archery pose, as he is made of hard plastic, his elbows just do not quite bend far enough. I know that they could have use double jointed elbows (as they have on other figures) but on this one, what with the expose joints, I suppose they wanted to keep it as realistically human as possible.

The face sculpt is great, you can see plenty of Renner in there. The texturing and skin tone on modern HT faces is astounding for mass produced, factory applications. It is a huge improvement on how things were even as recent as the mid 2000s. We have an HT Superman Returns figure and at the time we thought that the likeness was stunning. It's not a patch in how things are now.

The only quibbles I have are minor. Firstly, the delicacy of the procedure required to place the arrows in his automatic quiver...it could be that I always have been slightly Captain Fat Finger, but seeing as how HT included a regular quiver for his arrows as well as the automatic one he's seen using in the final battle, it say that HT realised that some folks might have trouble. Also, hanging that thing on his back took some mega swearing control to stop the air turning too blue. And finally, the sunglasses he's seen wearing at the end of the film are clearly different from the one included in this set. These have thin arms and the ones in the film have full width arms.

Like I said, minor quibbles. All-in-all, Hawkeye is a terrific figure in his own right. A trend which continues right through the HT AVENGERS range. Thank you HT for a brilliant addition to my collection.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]