2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me - but here's how you might be able to get it to work for you!, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Anker® Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port Express Card, with 5V 4 Pin Male Power Connector and 1 USB 3.0 20-pin Connector ( expand another two USB 3.0 ports ) (Personal Computers)
Well I bought this card (along with the separate front panel from Anker) hoping to bring my ageing computer into the promising future of USB 3.0 - but alas it did not work.

Installed it into a PCIe x1 slot with the 4 pin molex power connector. Simple stuff. Windows (7 64 bit) detects the new hardware but can't find the drivers - so installed the drivers from the included disk - rebooted - now listed in device manager as VIA USB 3 HUB and VIA USB 3 eXtensible Host Controller. Sounds about right? Go to test it with a flash drive - nothing. Test it with a portable HDD - nothing. Nothing lighting up on the devices to say they are plugged into anything and nothing showing up in windows to indicate that any device us been plugged in.

So go to download the most up-to-date drivers from here:

www. ianker.com/product/68UPPCIE-2S20PU

Uninstall the old ones, reboot, install the new ones, reboot - still nothing.

Subsequently i'm thinking - lets have a look around ye olde internet to see if anyone has any fixes. I found this very helpful review on the dot com site from the one known as only as 'Gene':

www. amazon.com/review/R11GJOB2ZUFJFK/ref=cm_cd_pg_prev?ie=UTF8&asin=B007SJGGAE&cdForum=Fx9A2S0GVAFU3J&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1O7E35AAZXXGW&store=pc#wasThisHelpful

Thus leading me try a few more drivers from VIA:

via-labs. com/en/support/downloads.jsp#hostdriver

But unfortunately, although these seemed to work for some people - they did not work for me.

Next on the agenda - Try the other PCIe x1 slot and the spare PCIe x16 slot - whilst uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers each time. Nope.

Or I could try flashing the most up-to-date BIOS? Nope.

This is around the time I started emailing customer services who despite not having a UK support number and taking about half a day to respond to my email - they were relatively helpful and suggested trying the card in a different computer.

Now I have a ASUS P5k Premium WIFI/AP board - which is admittedly at least 6 years old - but this should be no good reason for the card not to work - PCIe is backward and forward compatible - if the board has a PCIe socket I should be able to plug a PCIe component into it and have it work! You would think? (This is advertised right!?)

Anyway - I then introduce the card to my parents computer - An Asus P8 H61. Install into the spare slot, attach the 4 pin molex - install the drivers straight off the disk... Only to have the card work perfectly! As it obviously would! But it gets more painful - the bitter irony is that my parents computer already has native USB 3.0 support! What a Joke!

So while I had it working I ran some tests: via the card I transferred a 4gb file at around 70-80mbps - taking about 30 seconds. Would have been happy with that on my computer. Interestingly enough I transferred the same file from the same device via the native support as well and got speeds around 85-110mbps - probably knocking a few seconds off. So don't think this will be quite as fast as native support would be (if you do get it to work!).

In the end I would love to tell you something cathartic, the ultimate compensation like: I realised the card’s hidden switch had been in the ‘off’ position the whole time - I turned it on and got speeds of up to 5000mbps on my own computer! With this I managed to seduce a bright young 22 year old girl and now we’re settled down with a family in an idyllic country cottage in cornwall...

Regrettably that hasn’t happened. Though Anker customer services have given me a full refund and I have now ordered a Silverstone EC04-E PCI Express Card from Scan.co.uk:

www. scan .co.uk/products/4-port-silverstone-sst-ec04-e-pci-express-card-with-4x-usb-30

So I will report back here if I manage to get that one to work or not.

In conclusion:
-This anker card may work for you - more likely if you have a newer computer.
-If not, try the steps given in Gene’s review.
-Then try the steps I suggested as a final hope.

Been a bit of a learning curve for me - if you read loads of these customer reviews for different cards you will find i’m not the only one reporting they don’t work. Other people complain of them not lasting long, causing slow boots, general instability, hangs when logging off and even the cards frying their USB devices *gulp*. Remember they can’t be tested to work on every single variation of computer system - so be careful out there fellow consumers!

[Add comment]