2.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, 25 Feb 2011
This review is from: Nemesis (Hardcover)
I've just finsihed my first reading of this book and my immediate thoughts are that it is a bit thin on content preferring instead to go for big action set pieces. This is a shame because I love some of Millars other work with Wanted & Kick Ass being two of my favourite modern takes on the super hero \ villain story, both of these had great storylines with ingenious twists and great characters but most importantly of all superb endings. With Nemesis I felt that the story could have been a good deal longer to give some depth to the characters, explain their motives and spin out some good set pieces, instead I felt like I was scratching the surface of each scene as if there were a couple of pages missing from each chapter and for me the ending was quite disappointing.

On the plus side the core idea of the story is pretty good and as I said there are some great action sequences, the story flows well and I enjoyed reading it. The artwork is great, McNiven has done a fantastic job, the scenes of violence he has created are visceral and really bring the action to life.

I guess in the end I'm a little disappointed because although it's entertaining I think this book could have been a whole lot better. In summary if this book was a film it would be Tron Legacy, looks impressive but lacks the strength of story to back it up.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATE - I've come back to this review after re-reading Nemesis a couple of times and I've downgraded it from 3 to 2 stars. The book just doesn't stand up to re-reading, the whole thing is too flimsy and the story suffers as a result of this. I am considering returning the book to the shop I purchased it from and exchanging it for something else.

If anyone needs to "up their game" I'd say it was Millar.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Mar 2011 14:46:46 GMT
D. Morris says:
I never thought of taking a book back because I didn't enjoy it. What I would really like back in many cases (RED for example) is the time I wasted reading it. As you say, too often these days the writers just seem to have set their sights on a movie.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2011 15:04:03 GMT
M. Higgs says:
To be honest I've taken quite a few back lately and the shop I use (Waterstones) are good about it. Totally agree with you about RED, I purchased this the other day and was disappointed in the total lack of any real story and the length, it was like someone took a normal weekly edition of a comic and slapped a fancy cover and some sketches in it and said "here's your TPB". Very poor.

If you're looking for a good read (one that was incidentally turned into a rubbish movie) then I'd reccomend reading Surrogates and the prequel Surrogates - Flesh & Bone. Another top reccomendation in Sleeper series 1 & 2, quite possibly the best graphic novels I've ever read, even my brother loved them and he is not a comics fan.

Posted on 16 Apr 2011 17:49:16 BDT
I'm amazed you can even consider returning a book after reading it three times?

In what way was the book defective? Why should the retailer pay for your disappointment.

BTW, I read Nemesis serialised in Clint and agree with your view of it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (24 customer reviews)

14.99 11.99