3.0 out of 5 stars iMac dropping wifi, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Apple iMac 21.5 inch All-In-One Desktop PC (Intel Core i5 2.5GHz Quad-Core Processor, 2X2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB graphics) (Launched May 2011) - Older Model (Personal Computers)
I recently purchased an iMac and have been pleased with except for one major problem, after several minutes of inactivity my iMac drops the wifi signal. I thought maybe it was a problem with my settings so i contacted Apple support and although they tried a few things were unable to resolve the issue. The operator suggested the problem was with my IP/router yet all my other computers, playstation, ipod etc don't have this problem.
So i googled "iMac dropping wifi" and found there are a lot of people having the same problem and this has been an ongoing issue since 2009.
The problem seems to be with the Lion OS as opposed to a hardware problem and even though apple have released various fixes it seems to be an ongoing problem.
So my iMac goes back to the shop tomorrow and if they can't sort the problem then i will be looking for my money back.
A lot of money for a computer without wifi.

O.k an update on my situation. After a couple of frustrating weeks playing with the settings on my Mac and my router(zyxel660hw) i found the only way for my Mac to keep a connection was to change the security settings from WPA to WEP.
WEP is not considered very secure so i eventually changed to a new Netgear 330 router and everything seems fine.

Update after 6 months: No connectivity problems since i got the new router and am very pleased with the computer. The only other problem i have had since is i have got a blank screen twice when waking the computer from sleep.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 May 2012 16:10:07 BDT
John Donne says:
It's been a problem for some people for some time and Apple couldn't care less - I have Snow Leopard on my MBP and had the same issue; all other household devices including an iPad work happily with the ISP's router but not this one. In the end all Apple could say was (paraphrasing) "Ha ha you will have to buy one of our routers to make it work". Which I did, and it does.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012 22:58:06 BDT
Julian says:
Ever since I took the users security password off to save time from its initial switch on , I found the wifi wouldn't connect and had to do it manually every time and couldn't lock the wifi settings in the system preferences as it would only permanently lock if I put the users security password back on ... However , after switching the security password back on (bit of a pain every time you switch on) I find that it connects every time and stays connected.

Posted on 1 Dec 2012 01:08:50 GMT
Dr William says:

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2012 22:59:18 GMT
I am reporting the facts so people can make an informed purchase. How much value do think you have added to the discussion? Absoloutely nothing! Troll!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2013 16:42:27 BDT
Patrick Hunt says:
I experienced the exact problem with a new iMac in 2009. I ended up paying a techie to twiddle around with settings in the Wi Fi settings (DNS, as I recall) and since then it has worked a treat. I found Apple support no help at all. Denis McCarthy was quite correct to highlight this issue. I am not generally a complainer; too placid I am. But that damn intermittent wi-fi connection most irritating.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2013 22:31:23 BDT
manjushri says:
What is the security password? I am having the same problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2014 13:20:16 BDT
Mr. C. Pugh says:
Only you will know that as you set it up when you connect your router. Thats why it called security password.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›