3.0 out of 5 stars Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 - A Disappointing DVD, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: Ringo Starr & His All-Starr-Band - Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
First of all, I want to be fairly clear here.

I love this band, love Ringo, love all of the music on this tour. I own both the CD and DVD of this tour, but... I just think they picked the wrong show for the DVD Release. To me, there are so many things wrong on this DVD that it just lets me down, and just makes it not as good as the 2006 DVD, the 2010 DVD, or the 2012 DVD.

First of all, the minor stuff:

1. The behind the scenes clips between songs, while unnecessary, I can live with.

2. Ringo's choice of clothing for the second half of the show is just an eye-sore. Trust me Rich, stay away from black and gold.

3. I would have much rather had a saxophone solo from Edgar Winter on Oh My My, rather than a guitar solo from Colin Hay.

4. The backing vocals on Memphis In Your Mind are slightly wrong, which seemed to happen in the 2003 tour as well. Must be Colin Hay.

5. Speaking of backing vocals, this tour probably has the worst backing vocals for Boys.

6. Ringo kinda screws up the opening to With a Little Help From My Friends. Really minor. Can also live with that.

7. There were solo spots from Billy Squier, Edgar Winter, Gary Wright, Colin Hay, and Hamish Stuart in the tour. On this DVD, none of them appears. I would rather have solo spots than just go straight from Yellow Submarine to Frankenstein.

Now the major stuff:

1. Gregg Bissonette. He's an amazing drummer. I'd love to see him in future tours. But his drumming is just majorly off on this tour, probably the worst in the 3 All Starr tours he's done.

2. The drum track on this DVD seems really focused on Ringo, when most of the time he doesn't play the full thing, and Gregg does all the heavy stuff. Not good. Several times in this DVD, Gregg appears to be playing something different, but we just don't hear it. Who Can It Be Now, Pick Up the Pieces, Work to Do, and I think Lonely Is The Night. There's probably more that I'm just missing. Basically, with my DVDs, I'd rather have the main drum track be coming from the lead drummer of the tour, unless the song is Boys, I Wanna Be Your Man, Choose Love, or Back Off Boogaloo, or any other songs where Ringo's singing AND on drums.

3. Ringo may not have ever been the greatest singer in the world, I'll grant that, but in this tour, his voice seems really really off on this tour. The With a Little Help From My Friends introduction, Never Without You, I Wanna Be Your Man, and Give Peace a Chance seems to show this. This one is PURELY my opinion.

4. My favourite song from Edgar Winter is really broken in this show. It just sounds bad, compared to either 2006 or 2010. The second synthesizer section is really messed up, with Edgar and Gregg being really out of sync, to the point of Gregg cutting the section short. Big thumbs down in my book. I still watch this show every now and then, but when I get to this point in the show, I always find myself reaching for the DVD remote to skip ahead. I love Frankenstein, but this version is just unwatchable for me.

There have been a few good parts of this tour, don't get me wrong.

1. I love this tour's versions of Act Naturally, What Goes On, Who Can It Be Now, Down Under, and Free Ride more than any other of the All Starr tours.

2. My second favourite Ringo song, Oh My My, is in this tour, big thumbs up for me. In some shows of this tour, Oh My My gets completely cut from the show, so I'm glad it's in this show.

The Setlist for the DVD:

With a Little Help From My Friends / It Don't Come Easy
What Goes On
Memphis In Your Mind
Lonely Is the Night (Billy Squier)
Free Ride (Edgar Winter)
Down Under (Colin Hay)
Dream Weaver (Gary Wright)
Boys
Pick Up The Pieces (Hamish Stuart)
Liverpool 8
Act Naturally
Yellow Submarine
Frankenstein (Edgar Winter)
All Starr Band Introductions
Never Without You
Choose Love
The Stroke (Billy Squier)
Work To Do (Hamish Stuart)
I Wanna Be Your Man
Love Is Alive (Gary Wright)
Who Can It Be Now (Colin Hay)
Photograph
Oh My My
With A Little Help From My Friends
Give Peace a Chance

Once again, the music on this tour is good. The band is good. What really let it down was the DVD release. The other DVDs from 2006 to 2013 really do outshine this one.

I've heard some people complain that the CD has Edgar Winter's Free Ride, but no Frankenstein. Honestly, I'd rather have it that way, the way Frankenstein is on this tour.

CD Setlist:

With a Little Help From My Friends / It Don't Come Easy
What Goes On
The Stroke (Billy Squier)
Free Ride (Edgar Winter)
Dream Weaver (Gary Wright)
Boys
Pick Up The Pieces (Hamish Stuart)
Act Naturally
Yellow Submarine
Never Without You
I Wanna Be Your Man
Who Can It Be Now (Colin Hay)
Photograph
Oh My My
With A Little Help From My Friends
Give Peace a Chance

Make of this review what you will. But given the choice, I'd pick the CD over the DVD. And it's probably the only tour I'd do that for.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]