5.0 out of 5 stars It's well cheezy., 14 May 2009
This review is from: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook (Paperback)
I was a bit sceptical of this book but I got it on strength of the reviews I found on the US Amazon website.
I recently discovered that I suffer from multiple allergies: wheat, eggs, milk and nuts so I was really pining for something tasty, in particular, I was missing gooey cheese so I thought I would give this a go.
As it says in the beginning of the book, they cannot taste exactly the same without milk casein but the uncheeses will be quite close to the real thing and still good in their own right.
The ingredients were easy to find, the most difficult to get were the nutritional yeast flakes but I found some sites online. Someone in another review said they found it hard to find onion and garlic powder, but any supermarket in the uk sells onion and garlic granules; they are finely ground just like powder and I got good results from them.
I was disappointed that I couldn't make any of the block uncheeses as they all contain nuts, so I can't review them.
Here are my reviews of some recipes:
The white bean boursin was actually pretty good, I made the tofu version but the raw garlic was overpowering. I recommend a bit less. Overall it didn't have that melt in the mouth sensation but the taste was very close to the real thing. You can taste the tofu though.
The Nacho sauce was really good, much better than the rubbish you get at the cinema!
Betta Fetta tasted quite miso-ey, but it was really good and an excellent substitute. I would recommend marinading it for an extra day in olive oil and mixed herbs. The texture was really similar to the real thing. I enjoyed this a lot.
The spicy tomato and herb cheez spread was tasty, my husband liked it more than I did though. I felt it didn't thicken as described so I had to use a lot of extra oat flour.
The I can't believe it's not cheese sauce was very cheezy indeed! Great on cauliflower and pasta. Tastes quite nutty.
The Mostarella is lovely but doesn't taste anything like European mozzarella. Maybe it tastes like the stuff you get in America. Very creamy and gooey.
I made Eggplant parmezano and it was quite good but the sauce was too runny, next time I think I will put some mostarella on top.
The Frittata was a bit too beany and grainy on the surface. I would make it again but with tofu instead. It tastes better cold and holds it's shape better then too. Looks totally weird though and tastes nothing like real frittata but is quite nice.
The Instant Cheez it is meant to be a powder you make up beforehand so that you always have an instant cheese mix ready. It is quite light tasting. My baby loves it. My only complaint is that I can't get the lumps out, but that might be down to technique.
The recipes are really fun to make and easy, all you need are cup measures and spoon measures (got mine at Tesco). It's interesting to see what strange combinations can be put together to produce a cheese flavour. Don't buy this if you have a sesame allergy as it is in nearly everything.
I recommend this book. I've had great fun and I'm looking forward to more recipes.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]