4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to deliver, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Huawei E5332 Unlocked Mobile Wi-Fi Modem (Accessory)
This is really unlocked, I'm using it in Finland with a sim card of operator DNA.

Initially I ordered the cheaper version of this (the E5331) based on the good reviews. After some rethinking I canceled the order and ordered this one instead. The reason is I wanted to have the option to use an external antenna. I plan to use this on my summer cottage and the network signal is not perfect there. Can't harm in a car, either.

I also ordered an external antenna, but turned out, that the connectors don't match. The product description said nothing about the connector type, and I couldn't find any info elsewhere, either. So I assumed the most common one for Huawei modems (CRC9) should work. Well, it doesnt. After some lengthy re-googling I found out that the connector is of type TS-9. I have now ordered another antenna with this one, let's see if it fits and if it makes any difference.

I did a quick field test with the device on my way to work. The modem was in a cell phone holder in the windshield of my car, and running on its own battery. I had the speedtest.net running in an ipad on the passenger seat and i did a test every minute or so as I was driving to work. At first the download speed was disappointing, below 500 kbits/s, but after a few minutes the speed went up. For the rest of my trip it varied between 3 and 8,5 Mbit/s, which I find quite acceptable in a moving car. You could use netflix with that speed.

The reasons i dropped one star are:
- Lack of product information about the antenna connector,
- You need to be careful opening the back cover so that it doesn't brake. Someone who travels a lot might want to change the sim often, so a more practical solution would be nice.
- The price is a bit high.
- No 4G
- It's black. The seller didn't have a white one. This may heat up more in car use.

========
Edit May 24th:

I had a chance to test the device in smaller town and in rural area with and without the external antenna. On both locations, the download speed was acceptable with this modem alone, but the extra antenna did improve the speed noticeably. Based on speedtest.net the downloads speed improved from 6 Mb/s to 8Mb/s at both locations. The fastest measurement was 13,6 Mb/s at my summer house.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 May 2013 17:09:30 BDT
N. Morjan says:
Thank you for your brilliant review which saved me a lot of time and regret.
I was just going to order an external antenna with this device as I will be moving in a rural area with weak coverage.
As you have mentioned it is very difficult to get any information regarding the suitable antenna for "Huawei E5332".
The majority of Huawei devices use a CRC9 connector which is 0.5 mm smaller in diameter than TS9.
May I ask which antenna have you bought finally?
Thanks again for your excellent review.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2013 17:38:11 BDT
I bought a cheap antenna with TS9 connector from DX, and it fits. Hope this was what you were asking.

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 22:15:44 BDT
sparkle999 says:
Thanks for the review, really helpful, have bought the product and have ordered the TS9-type antenna. Many thanks

Posted on 9 Oct 2013 18:11:09 BDT
Iota says:
Do you not recall "black-body radiation" from Physics?
Nothing will stop it burning a hole in your pocket, but perversely, black colour ought to very marginally help your unit lose its generated heat FASTER by radiation when it is working, and so stay just the slightest tad cooler to touch. The apparent shiny black of the plastic not nearly as good as matt black would have been. Shape very reminiscent of 19th-century stage-coach hand-warmers...
White colour and a shiny surface to reflect radiated heat back like the polar ice-cap and help it stay a little cooler when left switched off but out in the sun all day. Could anyone ever tell the difference ?

Posted on 4 Nov 2013 20:50:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2013 20:38:30 GMT
TeaJam52 says:
Hi. Nice review.

I wondered if you or someone could help me with two queries.

Mine bought a few days ago works, though it shows a weak signal on my "Three" rolling contract 10gb data sim, (I have ordered 2 TS-9 aerials from the Far East - thanks Tapio.)

My queries are: 1. Why on my TV and I think my laptop is it showing as a 801.11g signal and not "n", will this change with a better signal and aerial. It streams iPlayer in SD OK, not HD. Speedtest is showing 1.5 - 3 Mbs, same as my previous 3g up to 21 Mbs dongle.

2. When you connect it with the cable as a USB dongle it says the battery lasts longer with WiFi (out) turned off. However there is no where I can find to turn the wifi signal off.
Any suggestions anybody? Thanks.

Posted on 8 Nov 2013 19:59:58 GMT
Thanks for your review, particularly specifying the aerial, made a huge difference.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (129 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 78.95