ARRAY(0xb4beccf0)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but could go that extra step, 19 Nov 2011
This review is from: Gear4 HouseParty Rise Docking Station Speaker with UK/EU Mains Adapter Compatible with iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, iPod Nano 5th Gen and iPod Touch 4th Gen - Black (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As both a great lover and gadgets and music tho seems like a perfect device for me to own.

Upon unpacking I was met with a sleek and well build designed device. It was easy to unpack although I found placing the attachment on for the UK plug a little fiddly.

Despite the sleek design and good build I was not overly impressed with the use of materials the plastics used seemed a little cheap.

I hit my first major snag with this with the remote control. It simply does not work. I spent a good ten minutes fiddling with it. Changing the battery, flipping it around etc and nothing I tried got it to work. This is likely just a faulty remote with my device. I don't know if others have had similar problems.

I like the way this is built with you able to dock your iPod/iPhone or other similar deices at the front. The buttons are big and easy to use and it has a large knob on the top you can turn for the volume which is handy and easy to use.

The clock is in big orange digits so easy to see.

Now for the main part when I docked my iPhone. It immediately asked if I wished to download the app to go with it and when I said yes took me to the Apps store on the iPhone. Once downloaded I opened the app and found it to be most useful. It automatically synced the clock to the iPhone which meant I would not need to fiddle with this later. It also had good software for playing music from my iPhones library and a radio option with a dial on the phone for selecting my radio station. I found this to be a very nice touch.

The sound from the system itself is good quality and can be raised to very loud levels. It is a good sound system akin to ghetto blasters of old.

But we do come to the most disappointing aspect of this device. And that is the fact it uses a FM radio rather than DAB. FM frequencies will be phased out in a few years plus the quality is not as good nor is the signal. This is a piece of equipment that does not come cheap so you think they could have made it a DAB radio.

Overall I think this is a good buy. There are disappointments with a remote not working, some fiddly bits with the plug and getting the battering in and out of the remote. And the major disappointment of it being a FM radio rather than digital (DAB) radio. But it has good sound, a nifty APP to aid your iPod with it and can be used as a nice bedtime alarm clock/radio or living room stereo.

Four stars.