5.0 out of 5 stars This Time It's Personal (4.5 Stars), 1 Oct 2008
This review is from: Acid Tongue (Audio CD)
Jenny Lewis the front woman of the amazing Rilo Kiley now and then ventures off out on her own and crafts beautiful projects like her solo debut "Rabbit Fur Coat" which she,along with the equally alluring Watson Twins tantalised us her honest lyrics and beautiful voice making you fall blissfully in love with her. "Acid Tongue" is her second effort as a solo artist which pretty much picks up where her last record left us and quenches your Jenny Lewis thirst almost without even trying.

1.Black Sand - I felt was the only song that really falls totally short, and for her I found this was pretty weak lyrically, vocally she sounds great singing in a higher pitch than usual, It's good but I just feel theres too much repetition, not to say thats a bad thing because with some songs it can work, with this one sadly it doesn't the strings are a nice touch towards the end with a gradual build up that trails off into the next song and on with the rest of the album. 7/10

2.Pretty Bird - A great song I think this is definitely one of my favourite tracks having putting the album on my iPod and listening to it pretty much non-stop since I bought it. There are times where she really seems to sound like Feist and in all honesty it does sound like an Feist song, and Jenny being a fan of hers she probably draws influence from this.I felt this song is a symbol for freedom, emancipating yourself from a difficult situation and eventually finding comfort in past experience. 10/10

3.The Next Messiah - I see this song clocks a hard, almost demanding 8 minutes (almost 9) but it really doesn't feel like that and it the song itself is divided up, cleverly into 3 movements, you can hear the definite switch i mood and instrumentation but Jenny herself said that they're three songs about the same thing, her dad. It's sort of autobiographical while Jenny really rocks out on this one we find out her father is a cancer survivor and talks about how her parents met, the divorce and so on, all with beautiful almost perfect instrumentation with a sexy,dirty edge. I love this song, I'd even go as far as to say this is one of my favourite songs of this year so far. 10/10

4.Bad Man's World - I enjoy this song! it's sleepy, sorrowful track with a haunting hook and again has a nice string arrangement It's not my favourite on Acid Tongue, but It's a nice midway track It's actually pretty sad actually her voice adds a lot of atmosphere to it especially her croaky "Yeah,Yeah,Yeah part, nice track 8/10

5.Acid Tongue - I read somewhere that Jenny felt this was the song where she pretty much bared all, that struck me quite hard. It's so intimate. I feel like Jenny is holding nothing back and I love that about this track, although not conventionally a catchy song, the backing vocals give it a nice southern, almost gospel touch to it, a beautiful song 10/10

6.See Fernando - I have seen Rilo Kiley and Jenny on her own a bunch of times now, and during the Rabbit Fur Coat tour she used to play this song I'm glad she decided to release a studio version because this is an amazing song. I felt this song is about being over exposed, and learning to let it go, in different ways.The beat is amazingly catchy,foot stomping and hand-clappingly good! 10/10

7.Godspeed - This song is about Jenny telling her friend she wants the best for her, while her friend is in an abusive relationship. Again, it's personal, it's heartbreaking and I suppose alot of people could really relate to this, it's one of those things where you,as a friend can only do so much until they find the courage and strength to leave, again beautifully written. 10/10

8.Carpetbaggers - Great song it is a duet with Elvis Costello, an artist I'm not exactly really familiar with this is most country this album actually gets, but would of been quite out of place on her previous effort. It's a song about an exploiter who does not remain in one place and just causes emotional destruction wherever they go, It's a really funky song it makes you want to clap with the song,considering the lyrical content it does make you want to dance. 9/10

9.Trying My Best To Love You - For me I think Jenny sounds beautiful on this, I've always thought she was never an artist to be as straight forward as she is in this song, it's a beautiful ballad to her lover (I think it's Jonathan Rice).Again she does sing alot higher which at first seems like shes out of tune but she isn't and just sounds amazing giving it a really soulful vibe. You go Jenny you do those soul runs! 10/10

10.Jack Killed Mom - Again another Rabbit Fur Coat era song played alot live,Definitely Oedipal -- Oedipus is directly referenced in the line about the king who went blind from his mother's love. There's also an interesting reference to Sisyphus (men push rocks up stony mountains), though I'm not sure how an impossible task fits into the narrative of the song -- maybe it's a comment on how hard it is to be good in the world? After all, Mom even ends up "kissing on the Golden Rule" -- sullies something that's supposed to be one of the definitive pillars of a righteous life.Love the song, I remember loving it when I see her live another favourite probably because i'm more familiar with it. 10/10

11.Sing A Song For Them - It's a nice closer not really that into it, could of been left off and Pelican Bay (B-side)could of been the last track, The album leaves on a low for but its a great album.7/10

Top 5

1.The Next Messiah
2.Pretty Bird
3.Trying My Best To Love You
4.See Fernando
5.Acid Tongue/Jack Killed Mom

Fan of Jenny? Just Buy It.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]