5.0 out of 5 stars MY OWN OTTOLENGHI FOOD IN MY OWN KITCHEN., 16 April 2011
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of the Upper Street sit-in branch with my girlfriends for years and never got bored of the endless flavour combinations of veggies and salads, let alone cakes.
I decided to get the cookbook despite my first impression of the lay out, and I am very pleased i had. (amazon's is far cheaper than the shop's copy).
In 2 weeks I already done these recipes:
- Cranberry/ choc cookies, except i replaced the berries by 150g of dark chocolate to suit my needs:) It was a delight and the 30 cookies were gone in less than 3 days, there are only 2 of us at home!!! The oats make it so hard to resist having less than 5 at a time!!! Moorish and easy to make. very crusty, not chewy.
- AUBERGINES with TAHINI sauce and OREGANO marinade: Tahini sauce can be made in smaller quantity to avoid waste, and is like a lighter hummus. Aubergines were delicious and I had to adjust the sizes of pieces to avoid them drying out too quickly in oven.
-BEANS WITH ORANGE/HAZELNUTS: very easy to make, taste so refreshing and healthy.
- CHICKEN BREASTS WITH HONEY/HAZELNUTS: Cooked for 2 people (unlike recipe for 4) but used same amount of marinade and still needed more. My boyfriend who doesn't even like cinnamon liked it even more than I did!
- JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES &POTATOES: Well, the taste was fab but the side effects were not known to us and unfortunately the farting that followed might not be what one needs to keep the passion alive. So I recommend not to do it for guest or first dates!!!! BeWARE!!!!
- As I write this, I am baking the pistachio shortbreads. Not easiest of steps, but they looked like they should be on the tray. Will taste them in 30 minutes.
- BROCCOLI WITH CHILI & GARLIC: so easy and so like the ones in the shop. A must for lazy days. Takes minutes.
Voila my friends, next week I am making the delicious (tried in the shop) MACADEMIA CARAMEL CHEESECAKE!!!! Got all my ingredients today for it at waitrose.

florence, London. 32.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Dec 2011 16:11:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2012 19:20:24 GMT
Florence says:
Since MY FIRST review, I have made the MAPLY ICING CAKE, THE CHOCOLATE TARTLETS, THE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS, THE ALMOND FLORENTINES, OLIVE oil CRACKERS. All are worth the hassle.
CHOC TARTS: making one's own sweet pastry batch isn't easy but I managed to freeze half and reused the next weeks to make more tartlets. The choc ganache is easy and filled 7 to 8 tartlets, more than the 6 stated. They are to die for.
CARROT CAKE: WONDERFUL! used Groundnut oil instead of sunflower, no butter in my icing but Vanilla essence instead of honey=lighter and wonderful taste. 1hr baking time was spot on for me.

MAPLE &APPLE CAKE (minus the sultanas): is to die for and impressed each time, lots to eat so best if you have guests.
Crumble Blueberry Muffins: crumble is hard work, my bf loved them more than I did. Would most probably do it next with choc chunks instead of fruits:)
OLIVE OIL CRACKERS: They are not the easiest to do but my god they are divine for party's as a starter. Bake just before guests arrive for crispiness. I made my own salsa dip to go with it. I recommend lots of olive oil when you brush them on baking tray to give them a crispier texture.
Best eaten within the hour you make them, keep in airtight container until needed. Home made Salsa dip: ripe toms, coriander, garlic, red onions, Virgin oil, salt/pepper. All chopped finely and it is divine and fresh. Spoon it on the cracker as you eat it at the table. Taste like a BRUSCHETTA!!:)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (263 customer reviews)

26.00 17.68