2.0 out of 5 stars Needs vast improvement, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 UK & Ireland - 5" Sat Nav with Full UK & Ireland Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Smartphone Connected and Interactive Screen (Electronics)
I wanted to like this product. The screen is bright and easy to operate with a refreshing UI. But it's severley let down by very poor software and limited features that feel like they've really gone for style over substance here. I've used various TomTom sat navs for years and yes their software and especially support has always been poor, but when they worked, they worked brilliantly with traffic rerouting being one of their strongest areas. However this iteration is a huge step backwards to the point of unusability. So I've returned mine and stuck with an older model while I look at other options.

Pros:
- speed and responsiveness. Now moves in almost real time with the car. No lag.
- UI is great and makes others look really dated.

Cons:
- you need to 'tether' your mobile, they don't make this clear. This means turning on Personal Hotspot for iPhone (other smartphones have a similar function) as well as Bluetooth. This drains battery and is also subject to restrictions of your network as some phone companies disable it or charge extra to turn it on.
- very buggy software (e.g. current version doesn't allow you to connect an iphone so no live traffic and it also reboots randomly far too often)
- lots of useful features removed from previous models (no avoid road block option etc)
- you'll have to wait for future updates to reintroduce features, if at all.
- TomTom support; as useful as a chocolate teapot.

If they manage (and it's a BIG if) to restore features and fix the software then I might return to TomTom, but for now you must avoid this current crop of models. Pick up one of their Via or previous year's model instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Nov 2013 11:59:40 GMT
Hi Adrian, thank you for the review of the GO 500 device, and I am sorry that you felt that the device should be returned.

For the benefit of other customers, it is correct that this series of devices (including the GO 400 and 600 models) requires a Personal Area Network Tethering connection to a mobile phone to receive the Traffic services and that this is sometimes not provided by the Phone Service provider. The phone needs to be running Android Application 4.0 or higher and iPhones need to be running iOS 6.0 or higher.
As an alternative, the GO 5000 and 6000 units have their own mobile phone SIM Card built into them so do not require nor support any linking of mobile phones to them.
Recently we have released User Interface updates for these units to include many of the features already requested through customer feedback and this effort is continuing at a rapid pace. Our intention is to implement the functions that our customers actually use and therefore be able to leave out the elements that often go unused on the devices.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 12:11:22 GMT
Unfortunately I ignored all the negative comments about this product and bought one thinking it was an upgrade to my TomTom 550. How wrong can you be. Almost no useful features and most of the previous useful ones are missing. For example I cannot create your own POI categories and I cannot transfer any of my personal POI's from my other model. I have been painstakingly adding all my POI's (Hundreds including lots of amateur football grounds, country fairs, Tesco Stores, and other places I visit on a regular basis) only to find that after adding a few dozen a message appeared stating that I am "unable to add anymore". There is no mention anywhere of an upper limit to add to the "My Places" (as it is now called) category. I could go on but will just say that this is the worst SatNav I have ever bought. It is very limited and is worse than any other "basic" model on the market. I can't return it because I have used it. A complete waste of money!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 12:50:18 GMT
Just a further comment. This product does not use the TomTom Home interface. It uses something called MyDrive Connect. Not many features on that. At least TomTom Home lets you download various functions and allows you to enter a password on your device as a security measure. Gone also is the "Where am I now" feature which is useful in case of a breakdown in a remote area or at night. Also there does not appear to be a feature to show you that your product is being backed up on your computer. In my view this product is a step backwards. Who on earth is responsible for such a "featureless" product.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2013 11:13:16 GMT
Hi Mr Jennings. The maps on the new GO series devices contain an extensive POI library built into them, including locations like named parks, football grounds and supermarkets.
We removed the Password Lock function from the User Interface on our devices quite some time ago because we were seeing a lot of people locking their devices with it and then forgetting the password, which rendered the units useless. Devices that have never been updated may still have this option, but we no longer include it in our software.
Devices that use the MyDrive Connect software can have their Favourites data saved to the computer by using the Add Community Content feature in MyDrive Connect. No other information is copied to the computer because map and operating software data is stored online for retrieval.
While there is indeed no Where Am I Now type option, information about your current location can be obtained by zooming the map inwards until roads names are displayed.
We have been adding in a large number of extra features over the past few months and will continue to add more going forward based on feedback on the most popular functions.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2013 18:24:52 GMT
Some of the POI's are of no use to me. I have over 100 locations of local football grounds stored on my TomTom 550 together with numerous Country Fair sites which I visit every year. I also have nearly 100 car park locations which I use when visiting towns along with Park and Ride locations and Historic points of interest. All of my personal points of interest are "accurately" stored. In other words they are precisely pinpointed. The GO 500 has restricted the amount of my POI's I am able to store despite the fact that there is over 6 mb of storage space. The lack of password security means that if my device is stolen the thief would be able to locate my home address. Question: Why is there no ability to add personal POI categories? Question: Why is there no notification that personal POI's are limited?

Posted on 27 Jun 2014 13:48:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jun 2014 13:49:17 BDT
Update: 06-27-14: Version 13.057

We are happy to announce our latest software update V. 13.057. Please connect your devices to MyDrive to get the latest features which include:
- Alternative route planning
After planning your route, select it to get a pop up menu button; open the menu and select Alternative route, then find Alternative route.
- Accent Colours
You can now customize the display of your device with different colour schemes.
- New map colours
You can change to new map colours with better contrast.
- Share changes to the map.
It is now possible to share changes to the map with the TomTom Map Share community.
You can read more on these and other changes here:http://bit.ly/VtrbFW

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2014 08:36:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jul 2014 09:05:05 BDT
I note that there is no extension to the number of personal POI's which can be stored. Even the Garmin I have allows me to store any number of personal POI's. Your previous comment to me about the "extensive POI library" on the device is not of much use to me because 1. I find them inaccurate and 2. I don't need most of them. For example is the Much Marcle Steam Fair location included in the "library" or is the location of the Woodcote Stoke Row football ground included? I could add hundreds more examples which are contained on my "ageing" GO 550. The "new" GO 500 reaches saturation point without any warning so, at the moment, it is of no use to me. Can you give a reason why unlimited personal POI's have been excluded? - I have just updated my Go 500 (first time since I bought it last December) and noticed that there is no facility to catergorise my personal POI's, they all appear alphabetically rather than in groups e.g. local football grounds, Tesco Stores, Park and Ride venues, country fairs, steam fairs etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2014 10:24:22 BDT
After many months and having resurrected this product from my "filed" bin and after complaining about not being able to add my many hundreds of personal POI's (My Places) (The machine previously told me that I had reached a limit) , I decided to try one more time. Well surprise, surprise it has suddenly started to allow me to add more. The only remaining problem is that it does not allow me to add category folders e.g. country fairs, other car parks, local football grounds, garden centres etc so I have to scroll endlessly to find the destination I want. The other fault I have found is that, unlike other Sat Navs, it does not show the current time when I am driving to a destination. It only shows the arrival time and the minutes left.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›