5.0 out of 5 stars Two month review, 11 Sept. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
I was lucky enough to find my Wii Fit in a supermarket nearly 2 months ago, and have been using it fairly religiously since I got it. I was reasonably fit in any case, as I play squash regularly, but had stopped going to the gym and had gradually put on some weight over the last two years. I needed to lose about 9kg.
I'm now on day 57 or so (including a holiday in the middle) and have been using the Wii to supplement my squash games with at least some extra cardio and exercises. I also have a cross-trainer, so I try to do a mix of all three activities, and I've been roughly following the Abs Diet for the last four or five weeks too.
So far, I have lost around 3kg and my condition has improved significantly. Two months ago I was struggling to get through my hour of squash, but now it's no problem again (and I'm approaching my 40th birthday). The Wii has certainly been a significant element in this, and it is fun too.
The different activities have been pretty fully covered by the product description and other reviewers, so I won't go into details. I'm happy to say that I have achieved the maximum levels in two of the three Challenges, although the press-up challenge is a long way from completion!
The Balance Board is very sensitive, and also very accurate, and works fine on the rug in my living room. My only problem with the board is that it's not really big enough for a couple of the exercises, particularly Step and Press-ups (my hands are too close together). However, it would be more awkward if it were bigger, so I suppose it is a reasonable compromise, and perhaps for Step one could place it on something else to get extra height.
My other minor gripe is that you can't add FitCash activities for a date other than the current day, which means that I can't tell it that I played squash yesterday. Again, not a big deal but a surprising omission.
Regarding BMI, I can only say that it is a blunt instrument, and everybody has to be aware of what their BMI should be based on their musculature. For me, it's probably around 24-25. For a rugby player, it might be 30; if you don't do any exercise and have very little muscle mass, it might be 20. Your best guides for this are your mirror and your trousers. Wii Fit is then a great tool you can use to track your progress.
Lastly, it is true that the Wii Fit does not replace going to the gym for serious weight training. It's not really designed for gaining muscle mass, and few of the exercises will help much for this. However, it's way, way better than sitting on the sofa and watching TV!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]