5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Brilliant, 28 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
When a book makes you occasionally laugh out loud, has your eyes brimming with tears or has you shouting at the pages through empathy and anger, you know the author has a very rare talent. 'The Help' is one such book. I have not enjoyed a tome so immensely since Michel Faber's 'The Crimson Petal and the White'.
The story is told through three wonderfully real female characters; Minny, Aibileen and Miss Skeeter. The location is Jackson, Mississippi and it's the early 1960s - a turbulent time as the civil rights movement thunders along to the chagrin of many bigoted fools. One visionary in the small town defies her heritage and vows to make a difference and with the aid of the local maids, begins a project which will create havoc for those with lofty positions and appalling attitudes. Within the pages of the book, we are privy to scenes of amazing warmth, great humour and delightful characters with whom you'd love to spend time. Kathryn Stockett has also created one of the most venomous villains since Cruella de Vil and at times I found myself cursing this woman as if I knew her personally.
Vital, engrossing and utterly compelling, 'The Help' is a book I'd urge anyone to read.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Aug 2010 10:18:13 BDT
aruna says:
I agree with you; I just finished yesterday and it's the best book I've read all year.

Posted on 10 Aug 2010 14:24:51 BDT
An absolutely wonderful read! I am an American living in the UK. It was our book club selection. The meeting is this evening. What a discussion we will have. I know the book will be passed on MANY times! Thank you, Ms. Stockett!!

Posted on 26 Aug 2010 15:24:27 BDT
I couldn't agree with you more. This book also made me laugh aloud and a few tears were also shed. I found myself slowing down my reading pace or only allowing myself 5 pages per day towards the end as I did not want to finish this book!!

Posted on 27 Oct 2010 11:00:02 BDT
B. KELLY says:
Couldn't agree more about this book or disagree more about "The Crimson Petal and the White"!

Posted on 22 Dec 2010 21:06:28 GMT
Thanks Ben, I liked the look of this one, but thanks to your review I read 'The Crimson Petal and the White' first, what an awesome book. I will now read 'The Help' and enjoy it just as much I'm sure!

Posted on 1 Feb 2011 10:58:09 GMT
avid reader says:
Ah yes! Fabulous read! I absolutely loved it! I already had it on audio when a friend lent me the hard copy - so I read the book and am now listening to the audiobook in the car - can't get enough of it! Definitely the book of the year for me so far.

Posted on 29 Aug 2011 21:23:13 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Dec 2011 14:26:36 GMT]

Posted on 20 Oct 2011 22:39:56 BDT
c and says:

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2011 13:22:32 GMT
M. S. Taylor says:
JC Clarke, you have turned up in every review I have read. You really need to stop trying to tell everyone that black people 'didn't have it that bad'. Have you any idea how racist you sound? You're embarrassing yourself and seeing as I assume you are white, it is not your place to speak for black people and their experience.

Posted on 2 Nov 2011 20:33:45 GMT
angiem says:
Saw the film today - brilliant - now feel I must read the book.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (2,074 customer reviews)
 (1,751)