5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful, 15 Nov 2012
This review is from: Madensky Square (Bello) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this on a whim as it was on offer (Kindle version). I wanted something to read when we went to visit the in-laws (not that they bore me, or anything!).
It didn't sound like much of a story from the blurb, but I don't like anything gruesome, scary or crime books and it was unusual for the deal of the day not to be one of these genres. The reviews were good, but I was doubtful it would capture me, and I thought it would be something I would struggle with.

However, within a page or two, I was intrigued by this book. Sometimes it takes me a while to get into a story, but I was instantly engrossed in this book. When I started it, I was awake until the early hours as I didn't want to put it down. I finished the book within a few days (no mean feat when you have a baby to look after!), and I enjoyed it so much.

It really touched me; the characters intrigued me and I wanted to know more. I have to say, I cried so much at parts of this book too - I don't think a book has ever made me weep before. But the part about the trip to Saltzburg and the doll...I am welling up now just thinking of it.

The story is told in an easy to read, compelling way; I identified with Susannah and through her easy narration I wanted to know more about the characters she encountered, yet I didn't feel cheated by this book in any way. I feel the author has told us exactly enough - not too much, not too little.

There's not much to criticise about this book. I did get a little confused about who was who at first. I felt a lot of her customers were introduced quite early on, and I did need to refer back once to double check who someone was. And there's a lot of German references that I couldn't be bothered looking up (because I read it in the wee small hours in bed, not being able to put it down otherwise I would have taken the time to look them up). But otherwise it was simply beautiful.

Gentle and compelling, with a wealth of colourful characters. I can't believe I enjoyed this style of book as it wouldn't be something I normally go for. But it was simply beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing what else the author has written and hoping it matches the standard of this book.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]