1.0 out of 5 stars NOT ALWAYS PLUG AND PLAY. HERE'S THE FIX, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack (Accessory)
I gave it one star to catch your eye.

Delivery was great - less than 48 hours from placing the order.

I have a 20 year-old house, a desktop with Windows 7, a laptop with Windows 7, and an xbox.

As usual with units like this, I followed the documented instructions diligently.

24 hours later, having gone through the manual, the web site and Google several times, I was no further forward and very frustrated.

PLUG AND PLAY 0 OUT OF 10 for me.

I'd rung the 'help' line four times. It kept saying "We appreciate your call, but we're all busy now. Why don't you go to our website. If you require immediate, over the phone assistance, please try again later"!!! That summed it up. No deal - just recorded messages each time.

ACCESS TO HELP LINE 0 OUT OF 10.

One final phone call before I returned them to Amazon. It was answered! And a young lady from Thailand or the Phillipines solved my problem with an undocumented fix!

HELP LINE PERSONNEL 10 OUT OF 10.

The solution
------------
You are provided with a utility program with the units. One of its functions is to do a factory reset on one of the devices. (This is as opposed to doing a physical reset directly on the device itself.) We did a computer-based reset on each unit in turn and, bingo! they became plug and play!

Edit 11 April 2012. Sorry the above might not be comprehensive, but see this from Comment 12 today.

I can't lay my hands on the disc or the manual at the moment (big mistake?), but I've just downloaded a copy of the user guide (...). As I said in my post, you must use the software provided on the disc which came with the units. Then I THINK that you use the RESET button on the MAIN tab. You must plug in the units one-at-a-time, and run the reset on each in turn. Then install both as per instructions. Mine have worked fine ever since.

Failing this it might be worth ringing the help line, but remember that (again, I think) they are based in the Phillipines, or somewhere, and only appear to work during normal hours over there.

I've had them for two years now (Nov 2013), and they perform perfectly.

PERFORMANCE WHEN INSTALLED 10 OUT OF 10.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 31-38 of 38 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 Feb 2013 10:41:49 GMT
Feb 2013

Still working like a dream!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 11:45:37 GMT
Oscar says:
But you haven't said how you got it to work.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 13:18:00 GMT
Roger says:
Read thoroughly the first 1-star post against this product - posted 2 Dec 2011.

Posted on 22 May 2013 13:16:28 BDT
F. Wang says:
You know TP-link is a chinese company based in Shenzhen, China. They are 7 hours ahead of us. I would say it's a chinese lady who answered your call. And thanks for the info.

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 13:56:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2013 13:57:18 GMT
Sony Victim says:
It is an interesting idea to give a product a one-star rating in order to get people to read the review.

As to appalling technical support - welcome to the late 20th century!

I will buy a pair and hope that they don't overheat and melt as the last pair of PLAs I tried a while back.

Posted on 21 Feb 2014 14:47:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2014 14:53:44 GMT
T. Olden says:
For the life of me, I can't get these damn things to connect - I'm using a win8 (with the latest software from the tplink site for it) and I keep getting ' unidentified network - limited', despite following your guide. What am I doing wrong?! All I get it 'doesn't have valid IP configuration'. I'm lost!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014 16:25:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Feb 2014 18:24:21 GMT
Roger says:
Hi, My network has been running without incident for a long time now. The units do such a good job that they've faded out of my conciousness. I'm not an expert, but I offer you these thoughts. First you need to reset them using the software on the CD. I'm pretty sure that ip addresses don't come into this exercise. When they are reset, you connect the network such that the PC and one of the units are both connected to the router (which is connected to the modem). The unit is plugged into a socket. The other unit is plugged into another socket, in another room. An 'intelligent device', such as a laptop, a smart TV, or an XBOX is attached to this second unit. It's at this point where your PC, your router and your intelligent device talk to each other via their ip addresses. It sounds to me as though one of these hasn't got a valid ip address. This is getting to the extent of my knowledge, but I suggest that you need to identify the ip address of each. Google will help with this. Then you need to find out how to set the one that's invalid (probably0.0.0.0). There is usually an option like 'allocate automatically', which usually works. Good luck. I'm offline for a couple of weeks now. And as I said earlier, the help line is very good if you can get through (Chinese working hours?)

Further thought. I'm pretty sure that the ip addresses are invisible to the TP-Links, so I don't think your problem is caused by them. I'd first get my PC, router, modem, and 'intelligent device' in the same room, and wire them up without the TP-Links. When you have a working network, you know that any subsequent problem has been caused by the units. But I doubt that you'd get such a problem.

Posted on 26 Mar 2014 10:16:16 GMT
P LORD says:
My units also didn't "plug and play" (per the user guide) straight out of the box.
In my case, I found that taking each single unit in turn, plugging-in then performing a long hold (10 seconds+) on the pairing button (to make it "leave the network"), then plugging them both in and pressing the pairing buttons for 2 seconds did the trick.

I bought these units to provide a wired connection to my smart TV, and the performance to date comfortably exceeds that which was achieved using wifi.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›