Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT ALWAYS PLUG AND PLAY. HERE'S THE FIX, 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack (Accessory)
I gave it one star to catch your eye.

Delivery was great - less than 48 hours from placing the order.

I have a 20 year-old house, a desktop with Windows 7, a laptop with Windows 7, and an xbox.

As usual with units like this, I followed the documented instructions diligently.

24 hours later, having gone through the manual, the web site and Google several times, I was no further forward and very frustrated.

PLUG AND PLAY 0 OUT OF 10 for me.

I'd rung the 'help' line four times. It kept saying "We appreciate your call, but we're all busy now. Why don't you go to our website. If you require immediate, over the phone assistance, please try again later"!!! That summed it up. No deal - just recorded messages each time.

One final phone call before I returned them to Amazon. It was answered! And a young lady from Thailand or the Phillipines solved my problem with an undocumented fix!

The solution
You are provided with a utility program with the units. One of its functions is to do a factory reset on one of the devices. (This is as opposed to doing a physical reset directly on the device itself.) We did a computer-based reset on each unit in turn and, bingo! they became plug and play!

Edit 11 April 2012. Sorry the above might not be comprehensive, but see this from Comment 12 today.

I can't lay my hands on the disc or the manual at the moment (big mistake?), but I've just downloaded a copy of the user guide (...). As I said in my post, you must use the software provided on the disc which came with the units. Then I THINK that you use the RESET button on the MAIN tab. You must plug in the units one-at-a-time, and run the reset on each in turn. Then install both as per instructions. Mine have worked fine ever since.

Failing this it might be worth ringing the help line, but remember that (again, I think) they are based in the Phillipines, or somewhere, and only appear to work during normal hours over there.

I've had them for two years now (Nov 2013), and they perform perfectly.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jan 2012 14:45:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jan 2012 14:46:37 GMT
Roger's review is brilliant. It highlights a number of problems with customer/technical service with companies and online purchasing. After reading his review I'm a little hesitant to purchase the equipment.

Posted on 8 Jan 2012 19:27:49 GMT
Gadget Guy says:
Good review,and with a fix.Well done Roger.

Posted on 15 Jan 2012 18:45:50 GMT

Posted on 16 Jan 2012 19:37:47 GMT
Paul Dee says:
Succinct review! But for those who think that support horror stories are for "lower end" brands, think again! I had a similar experience with Apple.

Posted on 17 Jan 2012 20:13:02 GMT
Michael Ball says:
Absolutely spot on and thank you for the advice.

Finally got mine working.

Posted on 19 Jan 2012 13:36:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jan 2012 13:37:14 GMT
Lee J. Allen says:
You are an absolute legend for adding this review! Im so glad I checked yours first as I thought it might be my extension lead at fault but I didn't hesitate to do the factory reset after it didn't I couldn't get it to work first time! And just like magic, it worked right away, saving me possibly hours of time and frustration. Nice one Roger.

Posted on 12 Feb 2012 14:23:49 GMT
Rich. says:
Fantastic thank you so much - It was so nice to just read your instructions and it works. Perfect!

Posted on 12 Feb 2012 18:28:33 GMT
D. G. Lloyd says:
My experience mirrors Roger's experience. I too followed the written Quick Instruction Guide which tells you what to do. It has no mention however regarding the steps to take if this does not work. However before purchasing the unitsI I had read Roger's solution and had no need to attempt acessing the HelpLine.
As he mentioned I reset both units using the Utility Program supplied before attempting to 're-pair' them, and following the advice from other comments, I carried out the procedure in the same room. This then worked first time without the need run up and down stairs umpteen times.
I then moved the one adapter to the room where the wireless connection was non-existent when I realised that the pairing process had to be carried out again. This time I succeeded in carrying out the pairing process without running up and down the stairs. The supplied Utility Program had a 'Pop-Up' window which shows the status of the link. This window has a 'Connect' button which I pressed. This paired both devices - and I had not left the room. Luck(?) - I don't know - but much easier than pressing the buttons on the plug!
One further point for those not too familiar with computer set-ups. The wired-up connection for the internet has to be enabled for this to work. Mine had never been used and had to be enabled. At present my wired-up connection, as well as my wireless connection, are both enabled without any apparent problem - not that it would take much time to disable the wireless connection if I find it is necessary.
Overall, the product works well, but if you do have problems, then use 'Roger's Helpline' rather than the manufacturers. Overall it must be good value despite the lack of clarity in the instructions. I would give it 4 stars so far

Posted on 4 Mar 2012 11:00:00 GMT
IT Guy says:
Roger's solution worked perfectly. I wasted hours trying to get these devices to pair to each other. Just wish I'd read Roger's review first!

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 20:27:17 GMT
Thanks Roger. I bought two set of them one for my Brother in Law and one for me. The one for BIL worked perfectly fine but mine didn't work at all. Had to do the reset as per Roger's comment. Now all set working perfectly. Typing this message while connected through it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›