4.0 out of 5 stars It ain't your usual horror movie, 28 May 2005
This review is from: Into The Mirror (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I couldn't wait for this DVD to come out when I heard about it; the idea of not being safe even from your own reflection was going to make interesting horror movie (and even better death sequences). After buying the DVD, turning off the lights and watching it I found that I liked it but not for the reasons I thought I would.
First the story, it's about an ex-cop, Wu Young-Min, who was forced to leave the police force and manages to get a job as the head of security at a shopping mall. One night one of the malls employees is killed. As more bodies start to appear the police are called in and Wu is told to stay out of their way. However Wu decides to do some investigating himself which in turn leads to the usual plot twists and death scenes as Wu uncovers the Malls hidden secrets. Now when I bought this I thought that I was going to watch a horror movie, which is true for the first half an hour or so, but the rest of the movie is more of a police thriller. I found this to be perfectly fine though since you get to explore the subjects of Wu's past and why the police detective refuse's to let him help in the investigation.
The FX used in the movie were quite simple compared to some Hollywood movies but were very effective (especially in the final scene). The sets were what impressed me the most though; each set was either symmetrical or filled with mirrors which helped to set the mood for the movie.
As with recent Tartan releases they have presented this in special two disc collection. You get the usual trailers, TV spots, deleted scenes and 4 page booklet. You also get an interesting commentary and 6 behind the scene documentaries (which is really just a making of program split up). To top it off you also get the film in storyboards and an unimpressive music video.
So overall if you like you're Tartan Asia Extreme's you'll most likely enjoy this. It doesn't really bring anything new to your screen but I found it to be entertaining. Just don't be expecting a horror movie like Ring or Dark Water.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 May 2009 10:53:59 BDT
I think this is the original that then became the US remake Mirrors, I think. Which one did you like best? My preference is always for the original but sadly I couldnt find this title so I had to get Mirrors which isnt bad I mean I have seen terrible US translations like The Ring and its sequel both of which ignored the simple dark gritty nature of Ringu, The Grudge wasnt bad but I found it too overblown and less gritty and the sequels are just poor. Dont get me started on Premonition or Dark Water ooooooh dear! Your review was helpful and I shall work double hard to track this down.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2009 01:12:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2009 23:52:28 BDT
Premonition wasn't remade; it was just that Sandra Bullock just happened to release that movie when the Japanese film came out on DVD over here. Like you I found The Grudge remake to be pretty entertaining even against the original; after all it was pretty much the same film, done by the same director with a bigger budget. Disagree with you about The Ring though, I thought they did an alright job but then again I never really liked the original that much to start with (always preferred Dark Water).
Anyway back to Into The Mirror...I haven't seen the remake so can't really compare the two. As I said in my review above I was expecting a run of the mill Asian horror and got an above average film mixed with some clever camera tricks. So basically keep your expectations in check and you'll most likely enjoy it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (10 customer reviews)

£19.99 £9.79