5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and emotional, even for none Senna fans., 4 April 2011
This review is from: Senna [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
A demi-God to Brazil, a legend and hero to me.

Being a Senna fan since I was a child, now a 35 year old adult. This may come across as a little "bias".
But this was one of the best films I have seen in the last 10 years.

It was well put together and honest...though it didn't show much of Senna's "dark side" we all knew he had.
It is not a film trying to prove how good/bad he was. It's showing how dedicated, passionate and humble he was.
You don't have to be a Senna or F1 fan to enjoy this. You just have to enjoy good documentary making.

I thought I knew everything about the man, but this film showed a lot of behind the scenes stuff I didn't know existed. Footage I have never seen in the many years of being a fan.

The 89/90 Prost/Senna battle was well covered in this film and revealed a few facts I was not aware of. Mainly the "favourable" FIA rulings lead by a fellow country-man of Prost.
Seeing the driver's meetings where everyone was in agreement with Senna over "certain" rules and regulations and he didn't even say a word. Yet the FIA "boss" was clearly being bais and "helping" Prost win.
Great to watch and see what really happend behind the scenes.

Senna's 91 win in Brazil took my breath away. Again, while I knew it was tough on him. 7 laps stuck in 6th gear...in the rain and he still won. Senna did the impossible and pushed a car beyond anything anyone knew it could do.
Seeing this in the documentary and hearing about how bad Senna was after the race, fainting in the car, the pain on his face as he was removed, the muscle cramps. Then watching him struggle on the podium to lift the trophy.
Nevermind his records and championships. This single race must have been his crowning achievement.
A true hero.

Hearing Senna talk about how he is at the peak of his career pre-Imola and he had more in him to give...but knowing what was to come.
I was welling up.

The ONLY part of this film I could not watch was EVERYTHING from Imola 94.
I watched upto Barrichello being interviewd with Senna. How young and nervous he looked.
I have seen the events of Imola 94 only once, when I watched them live. Never have been able to watch anything of that race since. Not just due to Senna's death, but the whole race weekend is hard for me to watch.
Barrichello crashing, Roland Ratzenberger dying, the crash at the start of the race and Senna's death. It was/is too much to take.
I really want to watch it as I know there is footage of Senna I have not seen and more behind the scenes stuff...but I just can't. Just watching the few seconds of the track, showing Tamburello corner and seeing that Kronenberg billboard, that's as far as I can go.
So I had to skip past the whole Imola part.

Then hearing close friends talk about Senna afterwards during the end of the documentary.
I cried.

I loved every second I watched of this flick and winner of the World Cinema Audience Award for documentaries at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival.

What an amazing and fitting film.
A real tribute to a true legend and an inspiration not just to Brazil...but the world.
It's a surprising film even for a die-hard Senna fan like myself. There is so much famous and infamous footage not included, which surprised me. But on the other had it made way for a lot of previously unseen/unknown footage. Which, if I'm honest, I prefered to see.
It's a film that even the biggest Senna fan will be amazed at. Plus a great introduction to none Senna fans.
It's an eye opener.

This really is one of the best films in the last decade...and Universal are cutting it for it's North America/European release this summer. From 162 minute down to 104 minute.
It's a disgrace.

Please do watch this film, but make sure it's the full 206 minute version.

[Add comment]