2.0 out of 5 stars Intimidating!, 11 Dec. 2011
This review is from: There Is Always Enough: Miraculous Ministry in Mozambique (Paperback)
Please please read the correspondence below this review as it will help to put it into context. I have decided to leave the negative review here in case it helps others but this is not the whole story!
It's a pity because, especially after subsequently seeing Heidi Baker interviewed, I honestly don't think the authors meant it this way, but when I read this book I felt as though I was reading about two spiritual superheroes with whom I could never hope to compete. I'm sure this says a lot about my own insecurities and about where I was at at the time, as I note that other reviewers have thoroughly enjoyed the book. However, I thought it worth saying this, not to 'knock' the Bakers but because if I have reacted like this, there is a chance that a few other people might as well. By the end of chapter 2 or 3 I was in tears and felt completely discouraged, and my husband wisely confiscated the book and suggested that I stick to reading the Bible! All I would say is that if this book makes you react like this, don't be discouraged, just find something else to read that inspires you to love Jesus! Some of my favourites: Eileen Crossman's Mountain Rain: A New Biography of James O. Fraser, Darelene Deibler Rose's Evidence Not Seen: One Woman's Faith in a Japanese POW Camp, Jackie Pullinger's Chasing the Dragon or Mahesh Chavda's Only Love Can Make a Miracle.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Mar 2012 20:25:46 BDT
Only Me says:
Sorry you felt this way about the book but I can assure you having visited Iris in Pemba, that Rolland and Heidi are as humble as people could be despite being amazing as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 12:09:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jul 2012 14:57:42 BDT
Daisy says:
Thanks Only Me for pointing this out - good to have both sides of the picture. Having found out a bit more about Heidi, I have actually gone back and edited my original review to dissociate my own reaction to the book from any personal criticism of the Bakers.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2012 09:39:26 BDT
Daisy says:
OK - I have now heard Heidi speak at a conference and have completely changed my mind about her! I realise that she is just a very candid person who tells things like they are, is happy to laugh at herself and is basically just in awe of what God does. Far from feeling put down I came away wanting to reach out for more of God. She's lovely.

Posted on 23 Dec 2013 00:06:41 GMT
sophie says:
I think it's a great pity that "Daisy's" insecurities/problems, whatever, should cause her to write this review. It's a fantastic testimony that every Christian should read.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›