3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg, 22 Nov 2009
This review is from: PURE Chronos iDock Series II, DAB/FM Stereo Clock Radio with Dock for iPod/iPhone - Black (Electronics)
I have owned a PURE Chronos iDock Series II for about three weeks now and am generally happy with it. When deciding which product to buy, I compared the sounds of the Series I (the Series II was markedly better) a much cheaper system and a Sony rival. I thought this the best but it is certainly not a living room sound system; the quality is fine for the bedroom but not good enough for elsewhere.

To set it up, plug in and press the "standby" button (not mentioned in the instructions!) and that's it. The clock, date and DAB radio automatically set themselves up. Once done, there is an extensive and user friendly menu of personal settings. My favourites have been being able to choose different alarm times, settings (i.e. wake up to iPod or a choice radio stations or buzz) and volumes for weekdays and weekends, adjusting the backlight intensity and the sleep modes. I also like the light dimming itself at night thanks to a light sensitive cell, though I would like it to be even dimmer. The iPod is easy to switch to, charges itself and comes back on wherever you last left off. There is a remote supplied should you need it. A real plus is, that if there is a power cut, the Chronos II remembers all your settings.

Those are the good points but I have had troubles too - the first of which I would like feedback on, please. When the device is on standby, but without an iPod docked, the plug emits a soft but most annoying rattling whine - when the radio is on, or the iPod is attached, the problem disappears. PURE were good enough to send me another plug but there was no change. Has anyone else suffered this problem please? A design improvement I would like to see are the buttons either lit or being given a textured surface as, at night, one has little idea which button to press. Lastly, and as has been mentioned elsewhere, when the alarm comes on at its preset volume, one cannot turn it up or down without having to switch off and on again.

So, would I recommend you buy this for the money asked? Well yes, but only just!

30/11/09
UPDATE. I took the unit back to John Lewis where I purchased it. They were very helpful and tried many different units with different plugs. All the PURE plugs used made the same noise but a generic 9 volt adapter was silent. Obviously a fault needing to be corrected.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Nov 2009 11:27:56 GMT
Hello There.
I had a chronos CD II and had the exact same problem with the plug making a whine noise so I sent it back, my dad said that it is normal because it is a low power device and the transformer in the plug will always make that noise.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2009 08:44:47 GMT
Hi there,
That's really useful to know. I will investigate more. What did you get instead - was it as good otherwise?
Many thanks for replying.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2009 11:22:33 GMT
G. Morgan says:
I haven't replaced it yet, still unsure of what to get. I will wait a while and look around to make sure I don't have to send another clock back. So if you leave the ipod plugged in the powerport the sound does not emit?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2009 15:11:21 GMT
East-House says:
Yes, that's right; if the iPOD is docked or the radio swithced on, the plug is silent. I called PURE again and they said that they had heard of no other similar problems and suggested I exchange the whole unit for another one. If it works, I'll let you know!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2009 17:41:31 GMT
G. Morgan says:
Yes please do as I cannot really find any other idock radios that seem to be any good. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2009 11:18:33 GMT
East-House says:
As you can see from my review, I have now up dated it. Let's hope they sort it out soon

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2010 16:12:56 GMT
M. Evans says:
Hi,
I just wanted to report the same problem you've experienced and so Pure should accept there is a problem. Would you describe the sound almost as a consistently timed 'squeak'? I only noticed it last night as the previous night (and first night with the radio) my IPhone was docked on it. It really is distracting when the bedroom is silent and you need to sleep! Just like a dripping tap!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2010 16:48:34 GMT
East-House says:
Bad luck. It is hard to describe a sound but my plug emits a ringing similar to that which I imagine tinnitus to be. As with you, when the iPod is plugged in, it disappears, so at least there is a "get out clause"!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2010 17:00:59 GMT
M. Evans says:
...worth reporting to Pure though, as there's at least two cases now!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2010 19:19:10 GMT
J. Wood says:
We bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and are also getting the noisy plug syndrome! I've emailed Pure's support team so will see what resonse I get back. Obviously a problem here that needs rectifying.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›