2.0 out of 5 stars One step forward, a couple of steps back?, 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Polar RC3 GPS Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
I got this yesterday for Christmas and have been training a couple of times with it. First of all, full marks for a nice looking watch with a GPS built in. Definitely beats having a seperate GPS Sensor as I did with my RCX5.

However, there are a few surprisingly bad downsides:
1. You can't customise any of the views. This has been on all high end Polar HRM's for several years? What's going on here? I've got pretty used to being able to customise my views?!
2. There is no average heart rate during training. The last Polar HRM I had that didn't have this was one that cost £40 about six years ago? This is close to a deal breaker for me as I use it to judge if I'm pushing myself hard enough in training. On variable things like commuting to work on a bike (stop, start, up and down hills etc..) this is really important to me as my current Heart Rate doesn't tell me a lot.
3. I haven't found a way to turn on the GPS before my run or cycle. This is particuarly annoying as I often run in different locations and it takes a bit to find a signal. For example this morning I'd run over half a mile before it figured out where it was.

My Garmin Forerunner 410 has none of these deficiencies. To be honest, I'd have to recommend that over this. Which is very disappointing. I'm trying to decide whether to send this back or not.

7/1/13 - UPDATE - Been using it most days for a couple of weeks now. Its worked fairly well to be fair. I do like the fact its rechargeable. And you can just plug it in to a USB cable connected to a PC, and leave it there after it sync's to charge up. However, unfortunately all of the downsides above are still very relevant, and quite annoying. And I'm afraid that if I knew them in advance I probably wouldn't have bought this model.

One final note is that I've found a workaround for point 3 above. I put the watch outside and start to record a training session a few minutes before I'm ready to start training. Then I end that session and start a new one immediately. This does mean you either need to delete this session on the watch or on the polar website after its been uploaded. So still pretty annoying. But at least you get to record your whole route when training!

11/2/13 - UPDATE - Thanks for the replies to this review. I have now tried to just press the Start button before you start your workout, it does start searching for a GPS signal. So, that does resolve point 3 above. However, after about six weeks of regular use, points 1 & 2 above are still sources of frustration. And, I'm considering buying a Garmin 910 and putting this one on eBay.

[Add comment]