3.0 out of 5 stars This product ruined our family reunion picnic!, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Boxer Gifts Weener Kleener Soap (Kitchen & Home)
With all of the horror stories in the news these days about E. coli and other bacterial food contaminants, I was a bit concerned about all of the burgers, brats, and hot dogs that were going to be consumed at our upcoming family reunion.

When I came across the "Weener Kleener" soap ring, I said to myself "Hey, that's not a bad idea!  One can never be too careful with meat these days..."

The night before the big cookout, I sanitized several dozen bratwursts and wieners with the "Weener Kleener" (I tried to wash the ground beef too, but pushing the meat through the soap ring proved to be a rather messy ordeal).

That night I slept soundly knowing that I had taken extra precautions to protect my family from food related illnesses.

The following day was picture perfect:  beautiful blue skies, just a slight breeze, no bugs, and an optimum temperature.  The children were happily playing throughout the park; the adults were having genial, lively conversations.  It was one the best family reunions in recent memory.

That is, until it was time to eat...

A few minutes after the food was served, I began to hear a handful of incoherent complaints.  Assuming that it was just the children complaining about Grandma Gertrude's "beets and marshmallow casserole," I shrugged it off and continued grilling more meat.  However, the chorus of complaining grew exponentially -- culminating with muffled gagging, and the unmistakable wet, splattering sound of emesis.

It was the hot dogs and brats -- they all tasted like soap!

I've now officially been barred from grilling at family events; the humiliation that I feel is nearly unbearable...

Looking again at the packaging, I do not see any certification that the "Weener Kleener" is a food-grade sanitizer; in retrospect, I should have been more cautious about purchasing something from a company that spells "wiener" and "cleaner" incorrectly.  I will definitely be writing a letter to the FDA to inform them about this dubious product.

In spite of the name of this product, I do NOT recommend using it for washing wieners (or any other meat items for that matter).

[Add comment]