5.0 out of 5 stars cannot beat this for the money, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: 7" inch Touch Screen Allwinner A13 1.0GHz CPU Android 4.0 Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi (Pink) (Personal Computers)
This is a brilliant piece of kit for the money. I have used Psions, personal organisers, PDAs, smartphone long before they were a mass market item and would be sceptical about the build quality of such a device. I do not want an iPad as I am happy with my iPhone but bought two Android tablets some time ago for my wife and I, totalling £150.00. They have done what we want - surfing and emailing whilst in the front room or on holiday.

Our five year old daughter started to pester us so a colleague suggested one of these. I read the reviews and so purchased a pink tablet which arrived within three days.

The external packaging looks good and exciting. Open the box and the internal packing is where some money is saved. I didn't buy it for that and it had arrived safely so got the device out and started to charge it. Not heavy and could be suggested as lightweight but I still was impressed. Charger socket is very tiny and a bit flimsy but with careful handling should be OK. I realised from start up and the specification this was the same guts as ours and so was very familiar. Excellent screen quality and graphics for the price. I would say rather reluctantly that the system appears to be more responsive and more stable than our own devices and has not frozen or stated an app had "stopped working."

Set up my Play account, deleted stuff my daughter would not want, added stuff she would and customised it so she would feel it was hers. She can change all that later if she wants.

Battery life is short - possibly two hours but that is because she has been using it a lot initially. Now restricting her usage anyway which she is fine with. She will pick it up, use it for a bit then put it away for a day. We tend to keep them on charge or switch them off completely and preserves battery life.

Things like YouTube and Google Earth/StreetView are fascinating for her and she navigates these apps with ease.

Friends who have seen this are amazed at what it does for so little money and are off to get some for their children or older relatives. I can see a hint of "why did we pay £400 for a device when this can meet our needs for a tenth of the cost....?"

Some reviewers obviously have had a bad experience especially if the device doesn't work properly. Because of the manufacturing techniques and the price, they must be churning out thousands of these and so there will be build quality issues - statistically it is inevitable. Send it back if you don't like under Distance Selling Regs, or relay on Sale of Goods Act if you have issues.

It is a simple piece of kit and runs some apps better than ours. TVCatchup for instance has to be reinstalled every time on my Asus device, but this devices runs it every time which is annoying to say the least. My daughter thought it funny though.

REMEMBER - this is £35.00 and is not an iPad. It is like comparing a Mini to a Bentley. The screen is slower to respond than iPads and the speaker is tinny, but daughter hasn't noticed. Plug in a 3.5mm speaker. If you try and compare you will be disappointed. Be realistic and you will be amazed! It really does work properly.

I laughed at the woman who grumbled about screen quality and had to ring the help line twice and was told to take the protective plastic screen cover off! Word of warning. When I bought this I took of the plastic protecting the front screen and the back and gave it to me my daughter to use. She later gave it back and the screen was scratched through using the capacitive pen that comes with it. I told her off for being clumsy and tried to polish the screen. I looked and looked and found that there was another clear protector on the screen! Totally invisible and no evidence of peeling at the edges. A finger nail scrape and I pulled off this protector! Instantly solved the mystery of the scratches!!! Sorry madam - it really was hard to see and I am happily a "techie" myself.

I will be getting more for mother in law and our three year old once he understands how to keep his fingers off the screen.

My daughters came with a three pin UK charger, a capacitive pen for screen use, a very basic instruction book that I did not need to use as familiar with this type of device, micro USB socket, micro USB to standard USB adapter cable, 3.5mm speaker socket, micro SD card socket that I think will take up to 32Gb, front facing camera of limited quality, on/off button and a volume toggle up/down. Device weighs 285 grams. Is wifi only and no Bluetooth or mobile network. However, I attached a Bluetooth dongle and was able to connect it to a wireless keyboard and type on it. Maybe a Bluetooth dongle and Bluetooth speaker will improve the sound but with then be a device with cables dangling from it....

100% product.