4.0 out of 5 stars 3 species, loads of weapons, 1 gory outcome, 20 Feb. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Aliens Vs Predator (Video Game)
Firstly, I'd just like to say this isn't going to be a game for everyone. This will most likely not appeal to the MW2 fan boys but it most certainly will appeal to the fans of both aliens and predator franchises.
The marine campaign, for me, is the superior campaign as it is dark and atmospheric with plenty of sparsely lit corridors and flickering lights, and ofcourse plenty of xenomorph smashing action. The motion tracker adds a great level of apprehension, especially when there's a predator on the prowl and you can't see it but dammit something's moving out there and it aint us! Then there's the famous pulse rifles and smart gun with all their fabulous sounds. A special comment must be made on these sound effects as they are superb and really bring you deeper into the universe. My only problem with the marine campaign is it's simply too short.
The alien and predator campaigns are good too, especially the predator where you feel like a universal hunting machine with your cloaking, jumping, stalking and eventual decapitating and eviscerating of man and alien alike (in full gory violent detail).
I could go on about this game but like I said at the beginning it's not going to appeal to everyone, but the fans of the films are boumd to enjoy it and I suspect, like me, fans will probably go and buy it anyway.
My final issue is the lack of deathmatches and other multiplayer games in single or solo mode, this would have been a nice touch for those who either don't have good enough internet connection, don't have the internet for the xbox or simply don't want to waste their time playing against kids online.

A final note on the much maligned graphics, I must say I don't see what "everyone" is going on about, personallly I thought they were fine; suitably dark and grimey; not gears of war beauty but still good enough for this generation, especially when you get up close and personal as a predator or alien and look in to the eyes of the poor marine who you're about to violently slaughter.

Overall I'm still unsure if I love this game or if it's just that I love the aliens and predator films so I'm a little bias toward a good but certainly not brilliant game, but I gave it a 4 either way as it is simply a fun game.

Anyway, I'd best be going now as it'll be dark soon and they mostly come out at night...mostly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Feb 2010 16:59:31 GMT
L. Houlihan says:
Yeah I think one of my favourite bits of this game has to be the look of horror in the marines eyes just as he/she realises they are completely f***ed, ha :-) although one thing i didn't think was great was the way they react to a dead body. They don't really seem too taken aback that one of their friends who was alive not more than 10 second ago has been violently ripped apart, all they seem to say is "oh look, bag and tag". I think they would be a little bit more s**t up than that! Great game though besides it's minor flaws.

Posted on 9 Jul 2012 07:37:40 BDT
Having recently finished it,I would say the Predator campaign is my favourite,the Marine is a quite straightforward FPS and the Alien's is a little short but combined it's not a bad length,plus there are a couple of 'survivor' maps although there could have been a couple more,the one is a basic 'square' and the other is too dark and I thought the graphics were fine.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›