5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless Hardware With Slightly Flawed Software, 4 Nov 2008
This review is from: Edimax EW-7128G Wireless LAN PCI Card 802.11b/g 54Mbp (Ralink) (Electronics)
After changing my ISP I received a new wireless ADSL router (Siemens Gigaset SE587) and then found it necessary to replace an old wireless network card on a very old desktop PC. It was for this reason I was looking for a budget priced PCI WiFi card which supported the newer security levels (WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK) and would also provide a strong and reliable signal strength.

After reading the unanimous 5 star reviews for this product I considered the Edimax EW-7128g WiFi Card a safe bet!

MY FINDINGS
-------------
The card only comes with the remote antenna. Its not a problem, just a point of clarification (see my customer image for details).

Before installing the card I downloaded the latest Windows XP device driver from the Edimax website (I would always recommend downloading driver and/or firmware when available as standard practice).

After installing the card I used the Edimax Configuration Tool which was extremely easy to use. However, the following day after switching the PC back on the network card wouldn't connect to the network without me first re-selecting the network and entering the security details. After testing this several times I realised the settings weren't being saved after each reboot (OS Windows XP Professional).

I logged a support call via the Edimax website (Saturday evening).

I then decided configure the network card in the same way I have configured all my other network cards on other computers using the standard Microsoft Zero Configuration Tool (Windows XP/Vista). On this occasion the network security details were saved.

The Edimax Configuration Tool is still useful for identifying other networks in the area and confirming the channels they are using. As a result of this information I experimented with several recommended standard wireless channels on the network and improved the signal strength from 75% to 99% (at both strengths the card consistently performed at a connection speed of 54Mbps).

I received a technical response via email from Edimax on the morning of the next business day (Monday). The solution was different from mine so I followed it up with a telephone call and promptly spoke to same support person who had responded via email. She was both helpful and friendly. However, I stuck with my original solution as it was working.

I have been using the card for 10 days and it has performed both reliably and to a high standard.

Originally, I was going to break with ranks and award the Edimax WiFi card with a respectable 4 star rating due to the software configuration issue. However, the prompt, helpful and friendly response has compensated for this initial shortfall.

UPDATED INFORMATION
-------------------
Since writing my original review I have found a new lease of life for both my old desktop computer (from 2001) and the Edimax EW-7128g WiFi Card.

I have installed the Linux operating system, Ubuntu (which is free). The problem with the various forms of Linux (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE etc) is finding the necessary devices drivers. This good news is that Ubuntu recognised the Edimax EW-7128g WiFi Card straight away!

I have also used the card on both a Windows Vista and Windows 7 computer.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]