5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing read, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography (Kindle Edition)
I started working with computers in 1965, and by the time the Lisa came out I had begun, as part of my working role, to check out such early microprocessor systems in the context of their being a working tool.
When Steve Jobs launched NeXT at the London Palladium, and for that launch played a duet with a member of the London Symphony Orchestra, I was there - even got the T-shirt. He was an electric and inspiring person to watch in action.
I worked primarily with MS-DOS and then Windows systems until 2010, when I switched all my home systems to Apple.
I've mentioned the above, because my perspective on the story of the man is already quite a long one, which educated my reading.
The book is necessarily a long one, but it never seems so. I had the Kindle version for a holiday read, and I found it difficult to put down.
The writing is accessible, and while, as someone has said in a review, it repeats material that is already 'out there', to have omitted it would have been to produce an incomplete story.
While I already had a sense of just how Jobs changed the progress of desktop and laptop computing, I really had no concept quite of the enormity of his role.
While a frustratingly difficult person at a personal level, the book gives across the feeling that the advances that he heralded for the world of personal computing would not have happened without his obsessions.
I really do recommend this book for anyone interested in the development of the technology we use these days, right up to the digital hub.
I'm unsure whether the history, certainly prior to the common use of GUI systems, will mean anything to most younger readers, and whether they would have a long enough attention span to complete such a long book.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]