5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a phone., 11 April 2011
This review is from: 8261 Meter USB Printer Cable Unpacked (Electronics)
I am going from a SE W302 to a SE Xperia Arc.
So I have no experience of smart phones or their capability whatsoever, and of course I have nothing to compare it to.

I read several reviews on this before buying and there were a few "negative" comments, in that the curve would be uncomfortable to hand hold, nonsense, it is easy to hold, and I can hold it in the right hand and type with the right hand, and have a cup of tea with my left. Or I can turn it on its side and hold in two hands and type with two thumbs, that is quicker.
Another "negative" was that the camera button and the power button were tricky to use, again, nonsense, they are easy to use. I have small hands as well, maybe that helps. My W302 was somewhat smaller, about 1cm smaller all around, but this still fits in my hand easily. That was a concern as I thought it would be "too big".

Set up was easy, even for me. contacts from Gmail had to be synced, but that was ok once I figured it out. I have found a lot is trial and error. I have printed out the 112 pages of online instructions but not read many of them yet. I have added apps, Kaspersky for security, well worth it I think, and Yahoo, my preferred email, and that works a treat. I will add more as time goes by. I swapped the included 8gb card for a 16gb card.

Messaging is different to what I am used to, as it puts a single persons messages like an email, one follows the other, and calls them a conversation, people probably understand that better than I, it is something I will get used to, but not too sure I like it, yet.

Rearranging the home page was fun and pretty easy. Getting access to the internet and Google is easy and not an issue, I have wireless in the house, it hooks up to that, or uses the 3G, I presume it is called that, when out and about. The screen is wonderful, the phone is light. I have blue toothed it to my car, pretty easy, but it has downloaded all my contacts from Yahoo etc to the car, that means I have to scroll through many to reach the one I may want. Again, not that I make any calls.

I have not used the GPS, so can't comment on that. As yet I have not taken an image, nor a video, nor made a call. But I don't call much, nor get calls, ah!

In the box was the phone, battery, charger, and a HD lead and ear phone things.

I think editing is allowed on these reviews, if it is and if I get to play with some of the other features, I can add them to the review.

I hope this was helpful, please ask questions in the comments and I will try to remember to check back now and again. I have Outlook (the email for this amazon account, the one that I don't look at very often!) on my main PC, but not synced that up....

My first question, lol, cheers, I will answer here, if that ok. WiFi. At the moment I have more trouble with my laptop dropping the wifi in the house than the Arc. I think the wifi is power hungry on the Arc, mind you. But, let's face it, who will really be using it in the house when they have a computer, ok, me too, lol. I drove to Heathrow today and it picked up the Wifi at Reading and Membury services, BTOpenWorld. I did not allow it to use them, simply because I was passing and was in too much of a rush to hook up and give it a whirl. I find the fifi quick enough, little drag on opening pages etc, with the very limited Googling I have done. The G3 is slow out and about, but still good enough, I used it, along with my TomTom to confirm the roads were clear, BBC Travel, and BBC Weather. Both are now bookmarked. I opened BBC Traffic just now in the house, 5 seconds on wifi. BBC Weather = 8 seconds. YouTube 3 seconds. Brilliant.

Next, lol.

I really must try the camera, still/video for a more informal report.

Edit 2, I have now tried the video, and I can report that as far as I am concerned, and a friend also looked and confirmed, the video is very very good, sharp, I played it on my 32" HD ready TV and it looked wonderfully good. For a "phone" I just don't see any negetives to this "video camera". Amazing, and fabulous. I am sure the camera will be just as good.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Apr 2011 12:20:47 BDT
Really useful review, you covered a number of the things I wanted to know myself. If you have a chance, would you mind expanding a little on what it's like on wifi, I've seen a number of reviews reporting wifi connection dropping a lot, have you experienced that at all, either at home or out and about? Do you find the wifi signal good?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2011 09:38:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Apr 2011 09:39:27 BDT
I've had my Arc for about 10 days and have only used my wifi at home so far, but I've used it every day, and it hasn't dropped out once where my previous SE Satio was dropping out all the time. So far so good!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2011 10:18:02 BDT
Tony Hobbs says:
I had one evening when it dropped the wifi, but that was my wifi as my laptop did the same, a call to Belkin sorted that out. Other than that, and that was nothing to do with the phone, it has worked well and no drops on wifi at home. Glad I have wifi as I go way over the 250mb usage allowed by Orange! The GPRS out of the house has up to 250mb per month usage, but I only use it carefully and now have a little data counter as an app.

Posted on 22 Apr 2011 21:40:10 BDT
RebEarth says:
how is the battery life? does it last a full day? 12 hours?

Posted on 23 Apr 2011 10:46:16 BDT
chows says:
Hi, can you please tell me is the phone made in Japan?. My phone arrived today and it's made in China !!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2011 08:53:22 BDT
Tony Hobbs says:
Can I answer the other question first, I would not be surprised if it was made in China and not Japan, not sure, where does it say and I will look? Sorry for delay in replying, I have not looked back here for a while.
Battery life, seems "ok" for what we expect? I have gone 24 hours on one charge. I have gone all night, no use and still nearly fully charged in the morning, but other nights, no use, it loses half its power - go figure. I find with average use (what is average, hehehe, a few emails bit of net surfing, few texts, over a day) it last all day, well, late afternoon.
I did use the GPS and Viewranger the other day, and found that, 1, I could get no GPS signal, under trees, and 2, the phone ran out of juice near end of walk. I had not used phone much during the day, walk started about 5pm to 7pm. I had to charge up in car on way home. Thankfully, I had a map, lol. So, the battery life is ok, for me, just. But I guess we can't expect miracles on a 4.2" screen.

Posted on 28 Apr 2011 20:27:02 BDT
Tony Hobbs says:
My battery ended the day on 71% left. Fully charged this morning, and used a bit for email this afternoon, not used at all this morning. Charging now, for safety.

Posted on 15 Oct 2011 19:49:55 BDT
Mr. H. Anand says:
Is it black, blue or silver? I want to buy it off amazon but really want a black one -please let me know asap. Thanks :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

5.0 out of 5 stars (2 customer reviews)

Out of stock