33 of 33 people found the following review helpful
Essential title for all genealogists,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Genealogy: Essential Research Methods (Hardcover)
This is a fabulous and welcome addition to the vast sea of books relating to family history. It may look like a small fish but boy, does it pack a punch.
Genealogy - essential research methods by Helen Osborn is indeed essential. I'm wondering which of my many genealogical and non-genealogical friends would benefit from the addition of this book to their personal library. I want to give it to all of them, regardless of their interest in the subject because although the focus is genealogy, the information handling and organisational skills described in the book apply to any subject.
The book is lucidly written and provides a structured approach to all aspects and methods of research, specifically for the genealogist but the advice provides essential guidance for all researchers. The author is honest in her approach, telling the reader she has made the mistakes she describes and detailing how to avoid making the same errors. Some of the highlights of this book include:
* Effective search techniques;
* Document analysis
* Planning your research, which is given a high profile, as is the importance of citing your sources. Let me repeat that again.
* Citing your sources. An action as important as locating the information itself.
* An invaluable chapter relating to organisation and storage of your research.
* The bibliography is excellent, suggesting eight core titles as recommended reading, followed by more extensive and supportive book/website lists. I would add a ninth title to the short core reading list, namely Helen Osborn's own book.
If you are just starting out on the genealogical trail, all on your ownsome, make this book your first purchase. Read it, refer to it but don't lend it to fellow genealogist. You will never see it again. Christmas is approaching and it would be a golden deed to give this to a friend. It could be the most useful genealogical gift or all time!
Highly recommended and likely to become the authoritative text on the subject.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Oct 2013 13:10:32 BDT
Amazon Customer says:
Thank you so much - as you say the number of books available on the subject is overwhelming, and this is the first genuinely helpful review I've read.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›