3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but....., 23 July 2011
This review is from: A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) (Hardcover)
Remember when you were a kid in school and were forced to read some incredibly boring book because it was a 'classic'? And remember how you ploughed your way through it wishing that something, anything would happen to relieve the tedium of reading long winded exposition, description and dialogue?
Well I'm sorry to say that at times I found myself thinking the same thing about A Dance With Dragons as I did about Silas Marner. Not all the time and certainly not enough to make me want to throw the book to the floor screaming enough!.... but sometimes.
Don't get me wrong, Mr Martin can write and there were occasions when I was genuinely astonished and surprised by events, but, not nearly often enough in a book of this length.
It almost seems as if the author wasn't quite sure where he was heading with his story or as if he got lost and meandered around for several thousand words before he got himself back on track.
All of my favourite characters were there but some of the people just seemed to disappear completely, and some only made brief and very frustrating cameo appearances.
I'm enjoying the Arya arc and looking forward to seeing what the next book has in store for her, but judging from how some characters are treated in this book, there is a possibility that she may completely disappear, never to be heard from again.
Tyrian has been placed on a stationary bicycle, throughout the book he's pedaling, very slowly, and getting nowhere. Dany has changed from the mother of dragons who won the heart of Khal Drogo to a lovesick girl, ruled by her hormones and damn the consequences. And poor Jon Snow, well, he's spent so much time on the Wall waiting for winter that he must be freezing to death.
And Cliffhangers?? they may be acceptable plot devices in TV shows or even films, but must we wait another 6 years to find out if '------- ' is really dead ? Unbelievable.
Note to Mr Martin ; I'm no spring chicken and at this rate I may not live long enough to read the end of the story so please, write faster and cut down a little on the length, my husband grew tired of letting me prop the book up against his back.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Aug 2011 20:46:25 BDT
LOL! Thanks for a wonderful and very apt review.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2011 21:00:59 BDT
Book Addict says:

Posted on 12 Aug 2011 22:25:19 BDT
nogginthenog says:
spot on!

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 13:52:08 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 14:09:46 BDT
Book Addict says:
Hi there.Thank you for your comment. I do indeed like the book , but I don't think that I am alone in pointing out there there is huge amount of repetition and unnecessary exposition that makes the book a little slow at times.
I do feel that some characters, e.g Daenerys have changed for the worse. She has metamorphosed from an intelligent woman who has the inner strength to defy the her brother, and the Dothraki way of dealing with widows. Plus she has dragons!!
In A Dance with Dragons, she becomes a typical teenager, she doesn't foresee the outcome of her , admittedly philanthropic actions. Just how are thousands of freed slaves to feed themselves, not to mention what will happen to the economy when they have to be paid for their work? And she is much more ruled by her hormones, which while understandable in an ordinary young woman does not seem in character for her.
I take your point that I have to wait for the next book but, as I mentioned, I'm no spring chicken ( and neither is Mr Martin) so possibly waiting for 7 years for the 'Winds of Winter', and another seven after that for 'A Dream of Spring' might prove problematic (though obviously I hope not !)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2011 20:03:01 BDT
thenamebedan says:
Lol! Quite agree wiv you & no, ur not on your own.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2011 13:21:09 BDT
Bigwyfe says:
LOL, I completely agree with you regarding Mr Martin's unspritely age! I have had my concerns for a while now that he will not manage to finish the series in his lifetime! I feel as though he has lost interest in this series a little, or perhaps has found himself painted into a plot corner and is meandering around trying to figure out how best to evolve it and finish it. If it the former, I do wish he would simply just sum up what he thought would happen with it and be done with! Oh well, here's hoping that the HBO series will end up forcing the issue a little - it has clearly proved popular, so I am guessing the pressure will be on a little to ensure that the series gets finished (as long as the TV show doesn't get canned!)

Posted on 6 May 2012 20:48:31 BDT
Miklůs Sz. says:
"Note to Mr Martin ; I'm no spring chicken and at this rate I may not live long enough to read the end of the story so please, write faster and cut down a little on the length" - that's hilarious :D But, at the same time, very true.. :) Fortunately I'm only in my 30's, but Mr. Martin is more than twice my age, and, judging by his photos, not entirely committed to a healthy lifestyle.
I really hope he can wrap this up and finish the main plots in the next books somehow, it would be a shame if this wonderful story should end without a real climax.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›