5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Winnie-the-Pooh (Kindle Edition)
Kindle arrived an hour ago and went on charge. Had worried about "setting up the wifi" - pushed one button and all was well.

But what book to introduce myself to this new technology?

For some unknown reason I hit Winnie-the-Pooh. No idea why. Probably because it was free and I thought it would be a trivial giggle.

I was and am blown away, gob smacked and totally wowed!

I did not know that the illustrations would be included, or that they would be rendered so clearly and wonderfully.

I could not believe how easy it was to start a "kiddies book" and be unable to stop reading.

Having downloaded loads of classics with grand plans of going all intelligentsia, I may just stay in 100 acres wood and revel in the joys of timeless master-class penmanship.

If you get a moment and are thinking "what to try next" please, please download Winnie-the-Pooh.

I honestly don't care what happens now. Reading Winnie has justified buying a Kindle. The rest is just gravy :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Oct 2010 11:16:03 BDT
Strange, that was the first book I downloaded onto my Kindle too! I put it down to the psychological effect of the silhouette cover picture. I'm no stranger to Winnie-the-Pooh though. I first came across A. A. Milne's Pooh at university and even went to an exhibition of his and E. H. Shephard's marvellous works. A Pooh birthday book happened to be open at that of the girl I was with, who, at the time, was a little on the plump side. The caption read "...and I know I'm not getting any fatter"!
If you haven't bought it yet, House At Pooh Corner is more of the same and well worth a read. I do feel £4.98 is a little steep.
Thank goodness Amazon are not using the awful Disney characters for the illustrations!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2010 17:13:07 BDT
Have nearly 200 books on this thing and have just read Winnie again!!! Arggh!

Posted on 16 Oct 2010 17:39:17 BDT
A. White says:
I can't find any description on if a kindle supports colour images? Can you please tell me if it is black and white only or supports colour?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Oct 2010 00:32:43 BDT
Only black and white (shades of grey!). Original E. H. Shephard drawings were B&W.

Posted on 28 May 2012 15:59:21 BDT
My only comment is that the Kindle has not yet totally replaced books. Fine, if you want to read to your kids but not if you want to deny them the feel, scale, excitement of turning to the next page of wonders on the next page. I fully expect for example the Bible, Koran, Book of Kells etc. to be on illuminated Kindles in the next few years sponsored by cyber-burgers.

Get the kids the books which are huge in size to them as little people and not mere pocket conveniences. Sorry, mighty Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 00:29:44 BDT
@Mr TYK: I'm not sure an ereader, any ereader, has the objective of replacing books. It is an alternative format that has advantages and disadvantages.

Personally I believe the tactile experience of books, along with cover recognition and all the visual inputs from a personal library make books a "superior" product to own. For that reason alone I would totally agree with you that kids could enjoy books more.

However - this is may be a view held by a dinosaur. Perhaps this next generation are so totally in tune with current media that books are anachronistic dusty tomes and that presenting them in an alternative format makes them accessible.
If Johnny or Jane would laugh at the suggestion of reading a book but devour anything and everything on an ereader who is to judge?

(For me "text" books, including The Bible and Qur'an, don't really work on ereaders - but then my copies are full of yellow stickies, jottings and other ephemera.) I have no idea what a "cyber-burger" is :(

It's all a bit like the old argument between lps, cd's and MP3's isn't it? Perfectionists and purists have one view. Those who just want to enjoy it have a different outlook. Regards, CW.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (117 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist