4.0 out of 5 stars A review of the movie itself..., 21 May 2012
This review is from: John Carter (Blu-ray 3D / Blu Ray 2D) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Ok. Where to start?
Firstly, I have not read the book. So I can't draw any comparisons on content/accuracy etc.

What I wanted to do is simply dispel the rumours and terrible press this move has had to endure.
To start with the painfully obvious: This movie is unlikely to win any oscars (although the CGI is really really good).

I sat down to watch this with very very low expectations. I mean, how much could I expect from a movie panned by all critics and recording massive losses for Disney.

But you know what? This is actually rather good.
It's not going to make it into my all time top ten, but it's a lot of fun.
Maybe it helps that I'm a big sci-fi fan in general, but this type of movie is typically what I like to sit back and watch with full immersion without the need to really work the grey matter in my brain.

The alien race(s) are well developed, the imagery is superb, with Mars looking both daunting and amazing, and as mentioned before, the special effects are top drawer. The battles, especially those in the air are stunning visually.

The lead actors do a decent job of drawing you into their characters and their fight to address the demons in ther respective closets. The female lead is stunningly beautiful, and you never tire of her screen time. The bonus being that she doesnt whine or complain a great deal and really comes accross as a tough heroine in her own right. Carter is well acted, with occasional reference to his troubled past, but this works well as well as it's not overly frequent, and when it does occur, you actually feel for him, at least a bit.

And of course the story itself is excellent. You have to remember just how long ago the book was written. It makes it even more astounding as the level of imagination and creativity that has gone into the story is incredible.

So I guess my point is that this is a good movie. Really. Ignore the press, ignore the negative review. Speak to people that have seen it. Take a chance. Go and see it. Or buy this blu-ray. It's a bargain, and the movie will provide entertainment for all ages (excluding the very young kids).

PS. I thought one of the slightly weak bits was the white apes. Which bizarely is on the cover of the blu-ray. But don't let that put you off. This is a much, much better movie than it's given credit for.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Jul 2012 10:36:54 BDT
Squeebles says:
Thanks for the write up, I shall give this film a try (missed it at the cinema).

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2012 01:33:40 BDT
shifty says:
Totally agree. For the life of me, I don't understand why this movie flopped. It was great fun. One of my favourite sci-fi films of the year, so far...

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 11:00:07 BDT
Thanks for the review, nice to see people who aren't just sheep who agree with everything other reviewers say for fear of appearing wrong. I've not seen this but will be getting it to watch tomorrow (time to place a Friday Prime order I think).

We live in an age where everyone is a critic because they've listened to a few movie commentaries and think they know everything. I'm a film FAN. I enjoy actually watching movies. Most people these days are CRITICS. They enjoy moaning about watching movies. It's just a competition over who has the best movie taste, to find any excuse to moan. Just enjoy the film. Or don't watch it if you've read the reviews and are likely to watch it, not like it and say "well that's 2 hours of my life I can't get back".

Does my head in.

Posted on 8 Jul 2012 18:54:24 BDT
Thoroughly enjoyed it at the cinema and shall be buying the dvd. I can't understand all the negative reviews and it does seem to follow the book fairly closely. I think the reason it flopped was the name, I am sure they could have come up with a more "dramatic" name for it.
Watch it I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 22:48:12 BDT
Exactly...how about something like "A Princess of Mars"?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 08:51:35 BDT
i dont think this movie deserves the nearly 5 stars in average....the world seems too alien to me the acting and the script are horrible, the effects are good i guess but i didnt like the alien races or the whole premise of the ninth ray......and the silly floating ships......it just didnt make much sense to me and i got bored watching it

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2012 17:11:32 BDT
That is why is called Science Fiction because it is not real
The Floating ships are meant to make sense
Not for everyone I am afraid - You have to be a big sci fi fan to enjoy it I think!
Take Care
Daz

Posted on 25 Dec 2012 22:18:11 GMT
I totally agree, I didn't see it in the cinema but rented it and really enjoyed it, so much so I'm now buying the DVD. Thanks for a great review :)

Posted on 27 Dec 2012 16:56:44 GMT
Captain Nemo says:
Best movie of the year and my wife agrees with me - for a change! Take the critics viewpoint of this movie with a pinch of salt.

Posted on 16 Jan 2013 11:18:18 GMT
Agreed! A really good surprise
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (487 customer reviews)

29.99 16.55