5.0 out of 5 stars A Redeeming Hit!, 5 Sep 2012
This review is from: Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 7) (Hardcover)
The reason I've titled this review as a "redeeming hit" is because I feel my adoration of this series was restored in this instalment. Landy redeemed himself from book 6, in my humble opinion. I was a great fan of books 1-5, but book 6 had so many disturbing differences in it, I had a hard time liking the characters, and getting to grips with the story. However! After reading book seven I see now that what happened in book 6 was all necessary and contributed to the ongoing series.

(spoilers)

I was especially glad to read in this book that Valkyrie got owned in the heart-break department. Hansard didn't want her phone number, on the train. And Flethcher Renn got a new girlfriend, yay! I was so upset at the way Valkyrie treated Fletcher in book 6. She deserved to be ignored by guys in this one.

Also, I noticed China Sorrows was back to her usual self in this book. Which I loved. I totally understand her being two-faced in the other realm. China was always such a striking character, to me, in books 1-5. She was a bad guy reformed as a good guy, yet she was cold in a self-preserving way. When I read book 6 where her character was turned into a rather cowardly mess of a woman who got beat up in the end, I was a bit outraged. How could she become so soft? I'd liked her character as she was; once bad, now good and strong in her independence.

After reading this book: Kingdom of the Wicked. I see now that all China's self-doubt and weakness was due to her conflicting emotions about having friends. True friendships.

To me, book 6 was the darkest one yet. Valkyrie was so violent, especially when she attacked that burglar (even though it was sort of justified). Skulduggery was Lord Vile! And China Sorrows turned weak in the end because of her feelings.

(end spoilers)

Book 7 came back to the light-hearted quips Landy is so good at writing. Combined with all the gore, action and suspense, the comedy dialogue between characters was as quality as ever! This instalment didn't let me down and the Skulduggery series is still my favourite. And of course Derek Landy is my all time favourite author.

The reason I've mentioned book 6 so much in this review is because I felt book 7 really came back to Landy's original style. And each book ties in with the next, books 6 and 7 really being significant to me.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]